Media server help for dummies!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Media server help for dummies!

Postby Temta » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Well dummies may be slightly harsh, pretty much a noob, but would very much appreciate a bit of help regarding media servers.

Just have a couple of questions regarding how the media server works. I was under the impression that a media server is sort of like youtube, you select the video you want to watch and they stream to your ps3, but now that i have downloaded the PS3 media server i have begun to have my doubts. I'm hoping someone can clear up these doubts for me.

In the settings section there is an option that asks if you would like to use 'multiple CPU cores'. What i would like to know is, is my computer transcoding these videos? I only ask because if it is i wont be streaming that many more videos because i do not want to overwork my PC with all the transcoding. I also read in a comment in a thread (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9337) that says "It essentially leaves the video untouched (no transcode) saving stress on your CPU) " and again in the tutoral thread where it says "You need lots of CPU power for transcoding".

Sorry if i have this all wrong, but again, all these options just confuse me, i really am a noob to 'transcoding' 'muxing' and whatever else. What i would just like to know is, for all the videos that need to be transcoded am i overworking my PC? And if my PC is not doing the transcoding, who is? My ps3? a server?

Thanks for your time and putting up with a total noob on this subject.
Temta

Re: Media server help for dummies!

Postby meskibob » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm

If transcoding is required (which may not be the case, depending on the type of file you're playing and your renderer), your PC will be doing that.
You can look at the Status tab of the application to see if the transcode buffer is being used (for both remuxing and transcoding), and you can see if any transcoding engines are being used in the bottom status bar (you're looking for MEncoder, TSmuxer, FFmpeg, etc).
Take a look at the How To's provided in the first FAQ post (or in the Help tab of the application) for more general information on how all this works.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Temta » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for the reply meskibob.

If you don't mind can i just ask a couple more things? I'll try my best to read the FAQ section but, and i know this does not reflect greatly on me, most of what i read on there does go over my head and i end up just getting confused. I'm really not great at technical issues regarding these sort of things.Sorry.

The main reason i use the PS3MS is due to some files not working on my PS3, in the past i use to transcode these files (mainly mp4 or wmv) with Handbrake or use mkv2vob for mkv files. What i would like to know is, and i know this is a difficult question, but is there any difference in the transcoding speeds/power used between programs like Handbrake and the PS3MS? Because if say the media server pushes my PC to the limit moreso than a program like Handbrake does then i may opt to continue transcoding on programs like Handbrake.

Also, the number of cores used to transcode option on the PS3MS. The more cores i use, does that mean the more my PC is being worked? I guess the more i use the faster transcode time? Is there a massive difference in transcode speeds when lower and increase the cores? For example, using 2 or 3 instead of 8.

And the last question, not all files are transcoded right? For instance if i play a file that could be played on the ps3 via a usb for example, that file would just be streamed and not transcoded (and therefore not working my PC?).

Thank you for your time.
Temta

Postby Temta » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:00 pm

anyone?
Temta

Postby beagan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:58 am

Different newbie here requiring help. I've been using PS3MS for over 2 years with great success. However, I had to recently reformat my computer and didn't backup my settings (nor remember which version I was even using). I've now tried the 1.70.1 version and am finding that all DVD VOB files appear to be interlaced and look horrible. These same files played perfectly before. My m4v files play okay, but take forever to jump around using the square button on the PS3. Also, the PS3MS now seems to take way longer than it ever did just to browse the folders to make a selection. I'm pulling my hair out trying different versions I've found (1.52, 1.54, 1.60) with all the same results. It's almost as if it's trying to transcode instead of playback natively. For one movie, I just put it on a flashdrive and played it thru the USB port of the PS3 and it worked great, so I know the file is good. Below are my specs, streaming to the PS3, wired connection (PC -> Linksys WRT160N Router -> PS3).

HP Pavilion p6370t PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-530 dual-core processor [2.93GHz, 512KB L2 + 4MB shared L3 cache, DMI 2.5GT/s]
• 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
• 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
• 512MB NVIDIA GeForce G210 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
• LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
• Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN

I'm sure I left out some important detail, be easy on me please. Thank you in advance!!!
beagan

Postby beagan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:27 pm

A few resolutions since my post...I've found that the Deinterlace filter button solved my problem on DVD VOB files for the interlaced picture. Also, enabling cache and doing a system index overnight helped speed up navigation tremendously. However, I'm getting freezing now on some files (VOB and m4v). And one particular VOB file looks horrible (I've only tried about five so far). Playback on my PC looks perfect for that same file.

Since I did a reformat, I'm thinking that maybe I'm lacking on something else. I've done all the updates with Microsoft and HP. Any ideas? And yes, I forgot to specifically state that I went thru the FAQ several times already (I know it's still possible I missed something in there too). Thank you.
beagan

Postby beagan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:30 am

I totally understand the no response on my request for help. I've been reading and reading and reading these threads, FAQs and know it's not an easy answer. This has become so disheartening. I feel like I've tried so many combinations. The oddest thing is that I only did a reformat of my PC. There's no way I went through all of this two years ago to get it to work. I have no memory of this being difficult. The biggest culprit that most seem to say solved their problem is one of many driver updates. I've done all that I can think of on that front. Ugh!!
beagan

Postby beagan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Update: I'm now at the point to where I can get everything to play, but the quality is poor on many and excellent on others (I'm only playing back m4v and vob files). I found that I would get a video freeze 1 second in with audio continuing just fine on several until I unchecked the "Remux videos with tsMuxeR when possible instead of transcoding". Why it would work checked on one m4v and not another m4v is beyond me (both equally created the same way thru Handbrake by me). Another odd thing is that I never did have a problem streaming raw uncompressed 20gb mkv's (as a test since I dump these after Handbrake)...those worked flawlessly and beautiful. It's just the 2.5gb m4v's (movies) and 300mb-4.5gb vob's (shorts) that I'm struggling with to get clean non-pixelated, non-grainy/fuzzy, non-stuttery playback on. Again, some are great and others aren't.

Here's what I've tried from the FAQs:
- Using 1.70.1 PS3MS w/ Java 7 update 9
- Updated all drivers since reformat
- Set maximum bandwidth to what's reported in trace log 93 mb/s (though I've tried many others too including zero)
- Tried suggestions for half-duplex mode on both PC and PS3 w/ no change (put back to full)
- Disabled Large send offloads
- Setup Jumbo Frame to 9kb MTU and PS3 to 1500 MTU
- All combinations for MPEG-2 options (lossless to low quality)

With the above, I've been able to do several combinations for testing. The only noticeable difference on anythign was unselecting "Remux videos with tsMuxeR...". It seems like all the recommendations are to leave that on too. Since PS3MS doesn't have AviSynth installed (I don't recall if the earlier version I had did), do I need to get that from somewhere? Was that the reason these worked flawlessly before? Any specific ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

11/15/12: FYI I only recommend this website for those that can figure out their issues within the FAQ. DO NOT expect help from the moderators. I've had posts removed and warnings issues from chocolateboy stating I'm not following rules when I vented (not in an offensive manner by any means) on why I had over 550 views and not one single peep of advice. I don't get it. You'll notice on many other posts in this forum that their "help" is just a condescending link to FAQ. What jerks! I get that it's repetitive to say the same thing over and over, but those that have tried so much and documented little steps of success so far for others to follow and you still don't offer help on the continuing problems. Unbelievable. I know this streamer works!! It worked for over two years for me. Doing a simple PC reformat has done something to make it not work. Thanks for nothing!!! I won't be here again.....as I'm sure this post will be deleted just the same.
beagan

Return to General Help and Support