PMS crash to desktop when playing a video on PS3 DLNA error

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PMS crash to desktop when playing a video on PS3 DLNA error

Postby Antra Man » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:38 am

Hi, prompted to join and post here as I just encountered a problem with PMS. Have been using PMS for about 6months, and has worked beautifully and reliably. Before that was using TVersity, but found it developed problems playing large mkv files, and did not have sub support.

Anyway, just today the PMS started crashing to desktop whenever I would try to open a video in my PS3. I tried restarting both PS3, PC, and modem. I updated JRE from 6.0 -> 7.0. I updated PMS from 1.50 to 1.70. I tried installing both 32bit and 64bit Java as I am using a 64bit Windows 7. Installed all updates by "Run as Administrator".

More specifically, I switch the PS3 on, then start PMS. Get the green tick, and check that my 2 video folders are listed in Share Settings. Navigate on the PS3 to video, then my folders, and the list of folders appears no problem. Go into a folder and select the video file, get a black screen, then a DLNA protocol error 2101, then PMS on my computer crashes to desktop, then DLNA error 2104 appears. The TV screen goes black and says there are no titles.

Here's the strange bit...my 2 video folders are on separate drives. One is an internal PC drive, and the other is an external drive connected via USB. I opened the external drive folder in the PS3 and can play videos no problem. So I then go to the other folder on the internal drive, and straight away I get a crash of the PMS and the DLNA error 2101 then 2104. I then go back to the first folder, on the USB drive to try and play a video from their, and cannot, because PMS is no longer running.

Very strange. So I examined the two drives to see if there was any visible issues. I checked them in HDD Sentinel and did a disk test, and both drives are coming up as "perfect" on the results.

I then realise that the internal drive , a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB SATAII drive, has only 36GB free space, while the external USB drive, a 750GB Toshiba laptop drive, still has 400GB free space.

Could PMS require a certain amount of free space or a percentage of total drive as free space for transcoding purposes? I cannot see that a 1GB movie file would require 36GB free space for transcoding or whatever else PMS does.

I then tried going back to TVersity, and found that i cound watch video from both folders on the 2 drives...so it kind rules out a drive error, I think.

Any help would be welcome.

thanks,Antra

EDIT: System Specs...
AMD Phenom II 955 BE CPU, ASUS M4A79T motherboard, 8GB GSKill DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Windows 7x64
Billion 7404VGOM modem, 2 PC + PS3 networked via a hub.
Last edited by Antra Man on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antra Man

Re: PMS crash to desktop when playing a video on PS3 DLNA er

Postby Antra Man » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:50 am

another odd thing I noticed...in task manager/processes, PMS used to appear in the process list as PSMediaServer or something like that. Now it appears as javaw.exe and not PSMediaserver. That don't seem rigt.
Antra Man

Re: PMS crash to desktop when playing a video on PS3 DLNA er

Postby meskibob » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:58 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support