Music Playlists: Streaming?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Music Playlists: Streaming?

Postby Bahnzo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:17 pm

I've looked and haven't seen this asked....

Is it possible to stream a playlist (m3u/pls) in PMS? I can setup a m3u playlist, and it's seen in the media player, but the only way to play songs from it are to play each one individually, or copy them to my PS3 harddrive. I must be missing something here....
Bahnzo

Re: Music Playlists: Streaming?

Postby Bahnzo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:34 pm

Hmmm, no one knows this? I just assumed that such a robust piece of software has this ability. So either I'm missing it, PMS doesn't do it, or it's a limitation of the PS3?
Bahnzo

Postby meskibob » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:49 pm

Do you have sequential playback enabled in the PS3 settings? It allows media in the same folder to be played one after another. If you're trying to do this across folders then it's not possible (PS3/DLNA limitation). I haven't tried using any playlists myself, so I'm not sure how they end up structured (all together or folder separated) in the XMB.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Bahnzo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:18 am

meskibob wrote:Do you have sequential playback enabled in the PS3 settings? It allows media in the same folder to be played one after another. If you're trying to do this across folders then it's not possible (PS3/DLNA limitation). I haven't tried using any playlists myself, so I'm not sure how they end up structured (all together or folder separated) in the XMB.

That might be it. I've just bought my PS3, so I'm still learning about it. Thanks!

edit: that doesn't seem to be it. Surely PMS allows playing music playlists?
Bahnzo

Postby duerra » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:47 am

Yes! PS3MS supports .m3u playlists - I just loaded up a directory with my playlists in it and it worked just fine right out of the box. :)

Once again PS3MS devs, you guys rock!
duerra

Postby Uridium » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:57 pm

duerra wrote:Yes! PS3MS supports .m3u playlists - I just loaded up a directory with my playlists in it and it worked just fine right out of the box. :)

Once again PS3MS devs, you guys rock!

Shuffle works on playlists as well by the way ;)
Uridium

Postby augeydoggy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:12 pm

I still cannot get playlists to work. Can you tell me what software you use to convert playlists to m3u? Apparently it may make a difference. I have been using SonglistToM3U.exe. Thx for any tips here, it is driving me crazy.
augeydoggy

Postby shagrath » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:31 pm

send me one of your non working m3u files by PM, i will take a look at it
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Bahnzo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:36 am

Months later and I still can't figure out a way to get this working...

I have all my music on one harddrive. I use Playlist Creator and have tried both .pls and .m3u. PMS can see both, and shows files in both folders, but if I try to play an .mp3, I get the error "That data type is not supported". What's strange, is then if I goto the folder and try to play that exact .mp3, it also causes the same error. If I restart PMS, then the .mp3 file is playable again.

So basically, PMS sees my playlists, but cannot play the files. The files are playable on their own. I use WinXP home, all the latest updates. Would really be nice to be able to use PMS and playlists.....
Bahnzo

Postby digmaster » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:27 am

Bahnzo wrote:Months later and I still can't figure out a way to get this working...

I have all my music on one harddrive. I use Playlist Creator and have tried both .pls and .m3u. PMS can see both, and shows files in both folders, but if I try to play an .mp3, I get the error "That data type is not supported". What's strange, is then if I goto the folder and try to play that exact .mp3, it also causes the same error. If I restart PMS, then the .mp3 file is playable again.

So basically, PMS sees my playlists, but cannot play the files. The files are playable on their own. I use WinXP home, all the latest updates. Would really be nice to be able to use PMS and playlists.....

Check out the tips in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2102

It works perfectly for me. If you need an example m3u file uploaded let me know!

Good luck mate!
System:
Intel Core 2Duo T7250 2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, 200GB Internal HDD - 500GB External HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT GPU, Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.
Setup:
PC wireless g -> Linksys WRT54G router -> wired PS3 60GB launch model
digmaster

Return to General Help and Support