Cant find these answers on my own.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Cant find these answers on my own.

Postby MajBach » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:53 am

Sorry everyone, i know how frustrating it can be to see a post from a noob thats been asked before but i've already been at this 2 hours and i'm going no where. Perhaps someone can give me some links or direct advice.

I have a relatively new laptop with i5 processor. I use it to watch the news in the morning and play movies ive bought or downloaded. I also have a PS3 (obviously). I've been burning discs to play in the PS3 but recently discovered that if I format a portable HDD in FAT32 I can save myself the hassle and watch directly from there. Problem is, PS3 won't play .mkvs (I just learned about mkvtovob so I'll try that) nor can I watch streaming video from my laptop's browser. So the solution was to buy a laptop with HDMI output and Ive been using it to watch movies and the like directly. However, it's a bit of a pain to control the PC with a mouse while watching on a TV not to mention having an HDMI cord laying on the ground etc etc. Also - despite my best efforts - I can not get even the latest version of VLC to decode Dolby 5.1 and quite often other players like Div X or WMP wont play the sound at all. I installed and AC3 decoder and can get Dolby 5.1 on both of the latter two players now but still not on VLC - even when Ive selected device as 5.1.

Suffice is to say I'd like to be able to do everything by streaming and watching thru the PS3. They way Ive read some of the threads and even the PMS Help File, it appears I can do this but I still cannot figure how. So far, all I can do is browse through my files that I have on the laptop through the PS3 and play them. I cannot seem to stream from the laptop to the PS3 what I am viewing on the laptop (is this possible) nor can I control what the laptop plays from the PS3. I do have the PMSEncoder plugin installed. I also have seen the "Registered Devices" on the PS3 settings but cannot go any further. This is what I require help with.

Finally and a little more simple: what are the default settings in the Transcoding Settings of PMS? I am curious what the preferred order is and the pros and cons for the audio and video engines. I think I may have screwed the order up when first setting up the program.

Thanks a heap in advance!
MajBach

Re: Cant find these answers on my own.

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:28 am

MajBach wrote:I cannot seem to stream from the laptop to the PS3 what I am viewing on the laptop (is this possible)

No.

I think I may have screwed the order up when first setting up the program.

FAQ: Resetting PMS back to default
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby MajBach » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:34 am

Thank you for the response. Still one more question: The Help page speaks about web streaming video and this is configurable in the transcoding page. What is "Web Video Streaming Engines" for then?
MajBach

Postby meskibob » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:41 pm

The Help page inside the application appears to be a little out of date.
You should start with the following FAQ post instead - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=37084#p37084
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support