Computer freezes when media server connects to PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Computer freezes when media server connects to PS3

Postby spuik » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Ok this is what's up. When I start PS3 Media Server and let it search for renderers, it works as expected when my PS3 is powered off (meaning it doesn't find any renderers). If I turn on the PS3 after this, it still works as expected, the PS3 is found and streaming works.

If, however, the PS3 is powered on before I launch PS3MS, my whole computer freezes every time. It's always when the renderer is found. It searches for a while, then says it cannot find any renderers and displays the red cross. Then after a few seconds, it finds the PS3 and displays the green check symbol, and immediately the whole computer freezes so I have to reset the power.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I recently upgraded to an SSD so I tried to reinstall to one of my old HDDs to see if that was the problem. It acted the exact same way. I also deleted the edited .bat that I used to launch PS3MS with and just tried a fresh install with no settings touched but it's always the same.

Again, if I only turn on the PS3 after the media server is already running, it works perfectly. Any ideas what's wrong?
Last edited by spuik on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spuik

Re: Starting PS3MS when PS3 is on causes freeze

Postby meskibob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:17 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby spuik » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Well, as you might expect, the problem is gone now that I'm trying to reproduce it... All I did was change the root level setting in logback.xml to TRACE. All's well that is well though so I'll post a log if the problem comes back. Thanks for helping. ;)
spuik

Postby spuik » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:21 am

All right, the freezing is back. This time it happened even though I turned my PS3 on only after the server was already running, so my theory on that is out the window. My trace log: http://pastebin.com/eufcrwUu (the server was on for three hours before I did anything).

e: here's another log http://pastebin.com/EAqSD9Fj with the same thing happening again
spuik

Re: Computer freezes when media server connects to PS3

Postby spuik » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:32 am

Anyone got any ideas?
spuik

Postby meskibob » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Nothing untoward in the logs, and wouldn't expect a system resource issue since it's just at the connection.
Maybe have a system level java issue? Try doing a full java purge and install - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=30#p41214
Also maybe a NIC driver issue. Try a driver update.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby spuik » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:01 am

Nope, didn't help after all. I was using java7 update7 when this started and now I've uninstalled it and installed update9. It worked a couple of times but then same thing. I removed it and tried update9 32bit version, which didn't work at all. Then I removed that and reinstalled update9 after which it worked once but then same thing again. Now it won't work even once after remove and reinstall.

I also updated the LAN driver for my motherboard, after which it again worked for one time but froze up on the second launch.

I'm at a loss.
spuik

Return to General Help and Support