Optimum settings?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Optimum settings?

Postby inmyrem » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:27 am

I recently picked up a PS3 and found out about this truly wonderful program a few days ago. I've spent close to 8 hours over the past few days figuring out what the optimum settings for me would be and am very close. The AviSynth/FFmpeg Video Files Engine winds up being the fastest method for me, with little to no stuttering on even the largest of scenes in 1080p. However, I simply cannot seem to get a happy audio selection. I tend to lose the center channel on most vids no matter if I select Mplayer Audio, FFmpeg Audio or Audio High Fidelity. Are there any settings I can enter in for the AviSynth/FFmpeg or AviSynth/MEncoder to get a smooth video with no audio interruptions? Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

As a side note, selecting MEncoder as the video engine and using "container == matroska && framerate == 29.97 :: -mc 0.1" suggested in another thread, doesn't help at all. In fact, MEncoder tends to be the worst video engine for me of the four no matter what settings I select with it.

System specs:
AMD Quad Phenom 2.3Ghz
8gb PC2-8500 memory
Vista Ultimate 64
Nvidia GTX 260 896mb

Installed items:
AC3 Filter
AviSynth 2.5.7
CoreAVC
FFDShow
Haali Media Splitter
K-Lite Codec Pack 64 bit (should I possibly remove that and go with CCCP?)
inmyrem

Re: Optimum settings?

Postby inmyrem » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:48 pm

I never bothered to look through the Linux postings since I'm not using Linux. I do seem to have found something which references nearly exactly what is happening to me though.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=841

I'll try the settings they suggest in there and see if that helps me any. In the meantime, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to them.
inmyrem

Postby inmyrem » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:14 pm

After fiddling with the settings for about 3 more hours last night, I finally have a 99% stutter free, fully digital 1080p video stream going through. Please don't ask me what all I tried, because I've truly lost track. However, for anyone experiencing surround channel reversal, missing or stuttering video and have a fast enough machine, here are the settings I am currently using.

Common transcode:
Buffer 400 (says it'll go to 600, but never saves properly and reverts to 400)
Cores 4 (depends upon your processor)

Audio settings:
Audio channels - 6 channels 5.1
AC3 bitrate - 640
Keep DTS audio in stream is checked
DTS/FLAC is not checked
Remux when audio track is AC3 is checked

Video quality settings:
No limit on maximum bandwidth
MPEG2 Video quality settings:
keyint=25:vqscale=1:vqmin=1

I have definitely disable subtitles checked until I need subtitles. It slows things down at times.

For Video Files Engines, I'm using AviSynth/MEncoder as primary with Enable AviSynth variable framerate checked.

For Audio Files Engines, Audio High Fidelity is primary.

For the MEncoder settings:
The items checked are Enhanced multicore support, Skips loop filter, Force framerate parsed, Switch to tsMuxer and that's it. Naturally, if you have subtitles, you'll probably want to check ASS/SSA Subtitles.

Please keep in mind that in order to use those video settings, you'll need what the readme portion of the program states:

B) Using Avisynth/FFDshow. Paired with CoreAVC, it's quite efficient with multi cores.
1- If not already done, get and install a codec pack with ffdshow (VSfilter must be included for subtitles).
My favorite is CCCP Codec Pack [http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp]
2- Get and install AVISynth 2.5.7 (I've met some framerate problems with 2.5.8 betas)
[http://downloads.sourceforge.net/avisynth2/Avisynth_257.exe?modtime=1168199840&big_mirror=0]
3- Set up the FFDShow Audio Mixer to 5.1 (3/0/2 LFE)
4- Set "Autoload VS Filter" to true
5- Configure Haali Splitter (audio/subtitles language priorities)

Optional Codecs: CoreAVC is a good choice for H264 decoding, Quicktime Alternative and Real Alternative are also useful
inmyrem

Postby infuriated_rain » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:21 pm

hey thanks alot for all of your information on that... that really helped me alot. i was having issues playing 1080p movies... it would start stuttering after about 10 minutes of play. i would have to pause, let it buffer, then play, restart, etc.... this has it so it plays perfectly fine, buffer all the way full! :D
infuriated_rain

Postby inmyrem » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:36 pm

No problem, glad it helped someone!

I found out to get 600 for the buffer, the decimal point has to be removed for the program to understand. So, to go from 400.0 to 600.0, just enter in 600 and hit Save. I still wish it could buffer more.
inmyrem

Postby maartmo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:07 am

Interesting. I will try your settings.

I have a question about " B) Using Avisynth/FFDshow. Paired with CoreAVC, it's quite efficient with multi cores."

I have installed CoreAvc. Will it autamaticly use this codec or do I have to change setiings for this ?
maartmo

Postby saeba79 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:30 pm

I had stuttering problems streaming a high-def movie (1080P) at:
keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 /* Best Quality */
so I dropped down to:
keyint=3:vqscale=2:vqmin=3 /* Good quality */
which worked.

Seeing your note, I changed this to:
keyint=25:vqscale=1:vqmin=2
and this worked as well. Anyone know which would result in better quality? I'm streaming via wireless-N to a 61" high-def TV and would like to get the best quality possible given my configuration :-)!

Thanks!
Intel Quad Q6600 2.4ghz, 6gb memory, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme-N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point, PS3 w/40gb, 61" Samsung 1080P DLP TV
saeba79

Postby mess » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:34 pm

sorry i have stupid question, what is better

keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 /* Best Quality */

or

keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=1 /* Lossless Quality, Crazy Bitrate */

vqmin=1 have better quality ??
mess

Postby inmyrem » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:53 am

Oddly enough, I've had to adjust my settings some with the new PS3 update. I updated a few days ago and not a single one of my 1080p movies would stream without stuttering again. After about half an hour of trial and error, I now have it streaming smoothly again. The adjustments I've had to make are as follows:

Maximum bandwidth changed from 0 to 40. No idea why I had to do this now when 0 was okay before, but I did. I'm using a powerline cable set up, so I don't have to have a 75ft cable going from my computer room to the living room. :lol: I'd highly recommend doing that over trying to use wireless for 1080p.

Quality settings is now set to keyint=25:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 Again, no idea why changing vqmin from 1 to 2 helped when it was fine at 1 before.

And now the real kicker. I've had to make TsMuxer my primary video engine in order to stream nearly flawlessly instead of Avisynth/MEncoder. Don't know why again. It works best with that now. It does help to allow the buffer to fill up completely before starting the movie too. I even went into the Transcode folder and tried every single selection available. TsMuxer still worked best with almost every single video. There was one Blu-Ray rip of Zohan that I had various rips of for testing purposes. The mpg rip worked better with MEncoder. The ONLY change between my system and the PS3 was the PS3 update too. I haven't changed how I rip my DVD's and Blu-Ray discs from my collection. I haven't changed any codecs. Nada. Pretty frickin odd!

Also, while messing around with settings to get things smooth again, I dropped the K-lite pack I was using and went to CCCP as well as updating TsMuxer in the PMS Win32 folder. Doesn't seem to have made any difference, but I wanted to be sure.

I'd also like to say if you have the right hardware to take advantage of CoreAVC, go buy it! It's cheap and takes quite a bit of strain off your processor if you need to. I've been using it for about 6 months now.
inmyrem

Postby saeba79 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:46 pm

I'm using the Netgear HD/Gaming 5 GHZ Wireless-N Networking Kit to connect my PS3 to my PC. I've setup a speedtest.net test on the webserver on the PC and get around 35mbps sustained in this configuration. This is less than I had hoped for as the units are one floor apart (about 3 meters). My main network backbone is all gigabit ethernet, but the Netgear kit uses 100mbit ports which is one limiting factor.

Testing a 1080P movie that has some very highly detailed CGI in it, the movie maxes out the network when using the "best quality" setting (keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2) and starts stuttering in some of the highly detailed CGI scenes. No setting of "Maximum Bandwidth" was able to work around this issue. I then changed to the "good" setting (keyint=2:vqscale=2:vqmin=3) which worked and finally settled on keyint=25:vqscale=1:vqmin=2. This keeps the network bandwidth to below 40mbps and ensures no stuttering in the tests I've run. Maximum Bandwidth is set to 0. Picture quality is very good (61" 1080P TV) so I don't think I'm losing any resolution.

I have my main transcode setting as Avisynth/MEncoder and this seems to work for most of the various formatted files I watch. I setup a couple of folders to default to [Mencoder] (by naming the folder xxxxxx.[mencoder]) for playing back .flv files (flash video).

Seems to be working great for everything I throw at it now. I tried TVersity for some time and had numerous issues. PS3 Media Server is working much better for me. And I like that I can FF or use goto to skip ahead through the movie. Thanks for a great product!
Intel Quad Q6600 2.4ghz, 6gb memory, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme-N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point, PS3 w/40gb, 61" Samsung 1080P DLP TV
saeba79

Next

Return to General Help and Support