PS3 Media server Wireless Laptop and PS3, Laptop-utp-PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS3 Media server Wireless Laptop and PS3, Laptop-utp-PS3

Postby MGK » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:40 pm

Hallo,

Here is my network setup i have a router a Sitecom Gaming WL-308 setup on my network this router supports B/G/N. My PS3 and Laptop are both connected on this router wireless on G (I also ordered a usb dongle for a N connection between my laptop and my router). What i want to do is make a UTP setup between my PS3 and PC, because 1080P files stutters like a distorted child. 720P I can stream very easily wireless sometimes I just need to let the buffer loads about 1 minute but in overall it ain't a headache.

So here comes the problem if I start my PS3 Media server on my laptop i can see it automatically recognize the Wireless ABG connection of my laptop to the PS3, so instead of this I want it to make use of my laptop ethernet NIC so the connection between my PS3 and laptop are wired. But my PS3 in-game should be still on the wireless connection to my Gaming WL-308, just to play smooth online gaming. I also don't see my Ethernet NIC connection on the drop down setup to force some connections in network setup in PS3 Media Server.

Does anyone know how to setup this up on a proper way cause I don't want to mess up my wireless setup.

I just cannot pull the LAN cables trough my house because of the damn thickness of the walls otherwise i would did it.

Thanks in advance,
MGK

Re: PS3 Media server Wireless Laptop and PS3, Laptop-utp-PS3

Postby meskibob » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:59 pm

You'll either need to switch the PS3 network connection back and forth between Wired and Wireless, or you'll need to share the network connection from the laptop and keep the PS3 on wired. As for the wired NIC not showing up in the PMS dropdown, I'm not exactly sure... It should still be there even if there's no active connection or IP's assigned on the NIC.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Irvysan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:17 pm

have you considered using 'homeplugs' ?
Irvysan

Postby MGK » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:22 pm

Hmms don't like to switch all the time between wireless/wired could be frustrating when just wanna enjoy online play and then suddenly wanna watch a movie.

No, I did not try the homeplugs yet is this thing used to get a connection using av power or something like this? Could you explain unclear for me?

I also have 2 high end sony vaio notebooks but also on these 2 notebooks PS3 media suffers under stuttering.

so yesterday decided to order a Network media tank HDX-1000 just in case i could not find a solution to my streaming problems.

I can always cancel that order if i can fix this issue with streaming 1080p files.
MGK

Postby MGK » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:34 pm

Irvysan wrote:have you considered using 'homeplugs' ?

Wow i just look into these things and in Europe these thing come really pricey they start at least from €75 with only 1 input and if I want to use multiple lan and with a speed to 200mb it comes around €200.

That's just going to be like an overkill on spendings I also forgot to mention i have 2 PS3's so i will also need 2 homeplugs :(
MGK

Postby Savage_Henry » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:45 am

Get a crossover cable, and share your internet connection through the N dongle your ordered. It's even possible it will work with a normal cable, some newer nic's auto detect what kind of cable is inserted and compensate for it. The only downside is your laptop needs to be on if you want to play online.
Savage_Henry

Postby Irvysan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:03 am

MGK wrote:
Irvysan wrote:have you considered using 'homeplugs' ?

Wow i just look into these things and in Europe these thing come really pricey they start at least from €75 with only 1 input and if I want to use multiple lan and with a speed to 200mb it comes around €200.

That's just going to be like an overkill on spendings I also forgot to mention i have 2 PS3's so i will also need 2 homeplugs :(

I just bought 2 on ebay myself 200Mbps full duplex brand new in the box for 47gbp inc. delivery :ebay item number : 110370199571
Irvysan

Return to General Help and Support