FLAC Fix after upgrade!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

FLAC Fix after upgrade!

Postby rainmun » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Hey Guys,

I thought I would post a fix, as some others may be having the same issue I had.

Problem - FLAC Audio not working, or not working after upgrading.

Background - I was using PMS versions up to 1.50.1 to stream FLAC audio (I'm a keen Audiophile), after upgrading to 1.52.1 FLAC audio stopped working, and would show up "Data is corrupted" screen. I reverted back to 1.50.1 and everything was peachy. I eagerly waited new releases hoping it might have just been an issue with certain versions, right up to 1.70.1. I had always mucked around with the settings in each version to no avail. At this point I went psycho, and tried everything, even downloading the absolute latest versions of each codec/player possible.

After some research I found and ran the Debug plugin, getting ready to prep some files to upload for support. I scan through them in notepad, and I realized that in 1.50.1 FLAC was being played/transcoded in Mplayer, and in versions after it were trying to be played/transcoded with FFMpeg. At this point it clicked.

Solution -

- Open PS3 Media Server Control Panel
- Choose the "Transcoding Settings" Tab
- In the left section under the "Audio Files Engines"
- Highlight MPlayer Audio
- Hit the blue up arrow button at the bottom of the list to bring it to the top of the list (in the Audio Files Engines section)
- Hit Save (Floppy disk icon, on the top)
- I chose to Quit the application, and restart

Voila FLAC with all its goodness! I hope this helps! I know I was ripping my hair out for quite a few months.

PS: I want to add a big thanks to everyone involved in this great program! You guys are awesome!
rainmun

Re: FLAC Fix after upgrade!

Postby crazycastle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks for this, but im still unable to play Flac using my pc linked to my DLNA Panasonic viera TV. I hope someone can find a fix for this.
Im using build 281930efc on linux
crazycastle

Postby rayfield3 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:39 pm

I tried this fix as well -- trying to play FLAC files on my Onkyo TX-8050 -- no such luck. build d4d1d39d0 under Ubuntu. help!
rayfield3

Postby hacker-pschorr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Awesome, thank you - that worked!!!

I was a bit upset after ripping about 50 CD's to FLAC only to find they would not work..... After this simple change they are playing just fine.

My PS3 is connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS via fiber optic cable.
hacker-pschorr

Postby McVoutey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:23 am

It worked for me, so thank you very, very much.

But I'm not sure if moving MPlayer Audio to the top of the list did the trick because I changed the default renderer from Sony Bravia (which I don't have) to Sony Blu-Ray (which I do) at the same time. I just listened to a flac file and am now playing an ogg file, so I couldn't be more pleased. The display reports that it is LPCM at 1.5Mbps through MPlayer Audio. I think additional video formats are playable too.

I'm using version 1.80.0 of PS3MS, iMac running OS X 10.8.3 into a Sony Blu-Ray S370 and a Denon AVR-1610

UPDATE: There is no joy in Mudville. As of this morning, flac and ogg files are invisible again. I must have edited something in one of the .conf files and removed the capability to read those files. Any help would be appreciated and if I figure it out I'll post here again.
Last edited by McVoutey on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McVoutey

Postby Mikas » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:30 am

rainmun wrote:Voila FLAC with all its goodness!

We can't have it in all its goodness, at least I can't, because they only work for me if I check the "Automatic audio resampling to 44.1 or 48kHz".
:(

Michael
Mikas

Postby Morty-L » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:29 pm

This worked for me as well. I disabled the ffmpeg option under audio-transcoding options as well.
Morty-L

Return to General Help and Support