FLAC Fix after upgrade!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

FLAC Fix after upgrade!

Postby rainmun » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Hey Guys,

I thought I would post a fix, as some others may be having the same issue I had.

Problem - FLAC Audio not working, or not working after upgrading.

Background - I was using PMS versions up to 1.50.1 to stream FLAC audio (I'm a keen Audiophile), after upgrading to 1.52.1 FLAC audio stopped working, and would show up "Data is corrupted" screen. I reverted back to 1.50.1 and everything was peachy. I eagerly waited new releases hoping it might have just been an issue with certain versions, right up to 1.70.1. I had always mucked around with the settings in each version to no avail. At this point I went psycho, and tried everything, even downloading the absolute latest versions of each codec/player possible.

After some research I found and ran the Debug plugin, getting ready to prep some files to upload for support. I scan through them in notepad, and I realized that in 1.50.1 FLAC was being played/transcoded in Mplayer, and in versions after it were trying to be played/transcoded with FFMpeg. At this point it clicked.

Solution -

- Open PS3 Media Server Control Panel
- Choose the "Transcoding Settings" Tab
- In the left section under the "Audio Files Engines"
- Highlight MPlayer Audio
- Hit the blue up arrow button at the bottom of the list to bring it to the top of the list (in the Audio Files Engines section)
- Hit Save (Floppy disk icon, on the top)
- I chose to Quit the application, and restart

Voila FLAC with all its goodness! I hope this helps! I know I was ripping my hair out for quite a few months.

PS: I want to add a big thanks to everyone involved in this great program! You guys are awesome!
rainmun

Re: FLAC Fix after upgrade!

Postby crazycastle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks for this, but im still unable to play Flac using my pc linked to my DLNA Panasonic viera TV. I hope someone can find a fix for this.
Im using build 281930efc on linux
crazycastle

Postby rayfield3 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:39 pm

I tried this fix as well -- trying to play FLAC files on my Onkyo TX-8050 -- no such luck. build d4d1d39d0 under Ubuntu. help!
rayfield3

Postby hacker-pschorr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Awesome, thank you - that worked!!!

I was a bit upset after ripping about 50 CD's to FLAC only to find they would not work..... After this simple change they are playing just fine.

My PS3 is connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS via fiber optic cable.
hacker-pschorr

Postby McVoutey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:23 am

It worked for me, so thank you very, very much.

But I'm not sure if moving MPlayer Audio to the top of the list did the trick because I changed the default renderer from Sony Bravia (which I don't have) to Sony Blu-Ray (which I do) at the same time. I just listened to a flac file and am now playing an ogg file, so I couldn't be more pleased. The display reports that it is LPCM at 1.5Mbps through MPlayer Audio. I think additional video formats are playable too.

I'm using version 1.80.0 of PS3MS, iMac running OS X 10.8.3 into a Sony Blu-Ray S370 and a Denon AVR-1610

UPDATE: There is no joy in Mudville. As of this morning, flac and ogg files are invisible again. I must have edited something in one of the .conf files and removed the capability to read those files. Any help would be appreciated and if I figure it out I'll post here again.
Last edited by McVoutey on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McVoutey

Postby Mikas » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:30 am

rainmun wrote:Voila FLAC with all its goodness!

We can't have it in all its goodness, at least I can't, because they only work for me if I check the "Automatic audio resampling to 44.1 or 48kHz".
:(

Michael
Mikas

Postby Morty-L » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:29 pm

This worked for me as well. I disabled the ffmpeg option under audio-transcoding options as well.
Morty-L

Postby thedouggle » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:26 pm

YES YES YES! Thank you so much for your help, everyone. Whoever suggested the link http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ Gave me everything I needed. I had made a lot of small adjustments prior, like changing stuff in the pms.bat[?] file under the "supported audio formats" section, but none of them fixed the problem. Whether they impacted my success or not I do not know, but I downloaded the 64-bit version from the link provided and swapped in ONLY the ffmpeg.exe file into the same subfolder within my PMS directory, renaming the OLD ffmpeg.exe for backup, and VIOLA. ALL of my flac files are showing up, even my 24-bit files. This had been bothering me for days, seriously, thanks everyone.

If any DEVS read this thread, please don't make the future releases easier for flac playback!

PS: The only quality downgrading occurring is with the resampling to 48/44.1 - tried listening to 15 Step - Radiohead at 96kHz, and it sounded bizarre.
thedouggle

Return to General Help and Support