3D format, transcoding

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

3D format, transcoding

Postby mario595 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:28 pm

I've been looking around and can't find a good explanation on this subject.

I have a TV that only accepts 3D in checkerboard format. From what I understand the PS3 with update 3.50 outputs 3D in "frame packing" format meaning you have to use an adapter to convert the signal to checkerboard. This adapter, 3DA-1, is made by mitsubishi and hard to find. I believe it is discontinued. There is no way to circumvent this with the media server is there? A way to transcode the signal in checkerboard that the PS3 will pass on to the TV. This may be a dumb question. I am not familiar with how 3D source is encoded:

Is the source encoded with a 3D format (checkerboard, top-down, side-by-side, frame packing) and then it is up to the player to optionally convert to another like what the panasonic blu-ray players can do? How do you get 2D from that video stream?

Is the source encoded with 2D video but contain extra information in the AVC codec that a player uses to send the 3D signal to the TV under the format that it has been designed to send? If the TV is not 3D it will just pass on the 2D picture?

How does/can Mencoder get involved with 3D?
mario595

Re: 3D format, transcoding

Postby mario595 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:21 am

nobody?
mario595

Re: 3D format, transcoding

Postby bigworm1922 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 pm

I am having the same problem. I can't find the kit. Well I have found it on ebay a few times but the price was $400-$500. No way am I paying that. have glasses and emitter just need the box. Does anyone know of a plugin or anything to get 3D to output to checkerboard? Hope someone can help us out!
bigworm1922

Return to General Help and Support