stuttering with 1000MBPs

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

stuttering with 1000MBPs

Postby skipdaflip » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:09 pm

I got myself some new switches (1000mbps)... it improved the playing of the DVD's a lot (no stuttering at all).
Now I fixed the noise when playing a 1080P movie (MKV) and it seems to work with MEnconder (Audio: DTS/Undermined), TsMuxer (Audio: DTS/Undermined) and Tsmuxer.
But I won't get any subtitles on those streams, so I've tried the following streams:

The one with the external subtitles option (first in Transcode folder) ---> stuttering and no subtitles
Avisynth/Mencoder [External Subtitles] ---> The data is corrupted
Avisynth/FFmpeg [External Subtitles] ---> The data type is not supported
Mencoder [Audio: DTS/Undermined] Sub: Embedded: Dutch ---> Heavy Stuttering but showing subtitle
Mencoder (Audio DTS/Undermined) Sub: Subrip Undermined ---> Heavy Stuttering but showing external subtitle

The subtitles are added through the PS3 media server correctly on a DVD

Specs of the PS3 media server
OS = Winxp
Pentium 4 3.00Ghz
4GB Internal Mem

Can anyone tell me how to I can get some subtitles under a MKV and let it play without stuttering? Perhaps subtitles through TSMuxer?
skipdaflip

Re: stuttering with 1000MBPs

Postby shagrath » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:32 pm

skipdaflip wrote:Pentium 4 3.00Ghz

you can forget subtitles...
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby kered1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:35 am

skipdaflip, can you read my post down a couple and offer suggestions. I cant get my comp to play 1080p on my dual core let alone my single core. My question is would it be my network connection if the buffer doesnt fill up on the pms. It seems like my computer cant keep up, but the processor on the dual core is only between 60-70%. Please Help.
kered1

Postby skipdaflip » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:51 pm

shagrath wrote:
skipdaflip wrote:Pentium 4 3.00Ghz

you can forget subtitles...

Shagrath... does it take such a heavy machine to convert those subtitles into the MKV stream? You could be right, but it's hard to believe...

It only runs your program on this machine and nothing else... It's not a clean machine a.t.m., so I will reinstall a new OS.
At this moment XP is installed, but microsoft is not using the CPU the right way in my conclusion. So I'm considering Win2003 or perhaps mac OS (INTEL) to see if it will help in my performance.

Or perhaps Linux, but then I'll loose some nice tools I'm using. But they will also have some fine tools instead of it I think.
I'll also check if I have a raid system in my machine so I can create a RAID0 to win some performance.
Last edited by skipdaflip on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skipdaflip

Postby meskibob » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:57 pm

skipdaflip wrote:... does it take such a heavy machine to convert those subtitles into the MKV stream?
The PS3 doesn't accept external subtitles and TSmuxer doesn't support embedding external subtitles, so you're stuck transcoding the entire video with MEncoder. This is very resource intensive, especially for 1080P, so a P4 won't be able to keep up.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby skipdaflip » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:30 pm

I'll see what you mean, but I still think that a P4 could be enough for the mux/demux process...
I could be wrong, but I like to expiriment a little before throwing my towel into the ring. I will post my results up here and the specs I've used when it worked out for me.

This doesn't mean I say you're wrong meskibob or shagrath... I will also post my results if I'm wrong.
skipdaflip

Postby meskibob » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:07 pm

skipdaflip wrote:I'll see what you mean, but I still think that a P4 could be enough for the mux/demux process...
I could be wrong, but I like to expiriment a little before throwing my towel into the ring. I will post my results up here and the specs I've used when it worked out for me.

This doesn't mean I say you're wrong meskibob or shagrath... I will also post my results if I'm wrong.
I was talking specifically in the PMS framework and only using PMS to stream the files. There are probably other external programs you can use to embed the subtitles, in which case a P4 may be able to handle a 1080p remux with TSmuxer. However, this has the drawbacks of a) you're either loosing the source file or keeping two copies, and b) you're loosing PMS's streamlined functionality since you'll need to manually embed the subtitles before streaming.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support