Extend Picture Size to 16:9 to move subs below video?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Extend Picture Size to 16:9 to move subs below video?

Postby godspeed » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:59 am

Since transcoding is required to display subtitles, is there any way to extend the picture size to 16:9 aspect ratio during that process so that subs will appear in the black space below the video for wide aspect movies?

There is a setting for this in the VobSub properties. And I can do this on my 16:10, 1920x1200 monitor using the "Resize to screen resolution" option in ffdshow.

Can this be done using the MEncoder engine custom options? I assume that this can be done with Avisynth, but I'd rather not mess with that since it would affect playback settings on my computer, right? But if there is no other way, I'd still appreciate if someone could walk me through how to do it with Avisynth. The PS3 is outputting to a 1080p display, if that information is needed.

Thanks.
godspeed

Re: Extend Picture Size to 16:9 to move subs below video?

Postby shagrath » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:03 am

someone already asked me this by mail... with mencoder, you can try the following in custom options

-ass-top-margin 100 -ass-bottom-margin 100 -ass-use-margins

try also some other values
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby godspeed » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:17 am

Thanks for the quick response, just tried it out and it seems to work great for the few 1920x800 files that I tested. Does this work only for ass/ssa subs or does it apply to srt subs as well?

There would be problems for files that are lower resolution or non-wide aspect "1080p" files. Since you use MEncoder can detect the codec, is it possible to detect the resolution and set then set the margin buffer accordingly?

Secondly, if the subs displaying system works the way that I think it does, subs on "720p" files would appear larger than "1080p" files, right? I don't even think that they'd even fit on a "480p" file. So I guess a corollary to setting the margin buffer according to the resolution would be to set the font scale accordingly as well. Enabling this might be complicated since you would have to take the user font scale setting and then multiply it by the scale factor for that particular resolution.

Just throwing some thoughts out there.

Thanks again.
godspeed

Postby shagrath » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:22 am

srt will also work

and you're right, the value should be variable according to resolution...
I suggest to use the expert settings feature for this, something like

width == 1920 && height <= 900 :: -ass-top-margin 100 -ass-bottom-margin 100 -ass-use-margins
width == 1280 && height <= 600 :: -ass-top-margin 70 -ass-bottom-margin 70 -ass-use-margins

and so on...

I need to improve the thing with a subtitle presence check though
shagrath
Project Lead

Return to General Help and Support