Subtitle Transparency

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Subtitle Transparency

Postby PlaystationFTW » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Ok first of all i must say that PMS is the BEST app i've ever used in my life ,and i wanna thank all the ppl who made this happen.Great Job.

And here's my little issue:
The white interior of the subtitles (That happens only when i deselect the ass box,so i can change the default font settings)is a bit transparent which is kind of annoying especially when i watch movies with intense colors like red or green f.e. South Park (Bluray ofc).

If there's an option to increase the white intensity ,i would be glad if someone could tell me which one is it.

Thanks and keep up the good work PMS ROCKS!!!
PlaystationFTW

Re: Subtitle Transparency

Postby PlaystationFTW » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Seriously no one can answer this?

Ah btw these are my pc specs: intel core 2 duo 6550,4 gig of ram,2x 320 GB sata2 drives on raid 0,nvidia gforce 9800gt.

And im using PMS version 1.10.51

Thanks again
PlaystationFTW

Postby Saturn49 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:00 am

I'm not sure if this will help the OP or not, but I was messing with this for quite a while and I think I found a solution.

I was experiencing the semi-transparent subtitles when viewing DVD iso rips. Here's my solution. Edit the mEncoder Expert Settings : Codecs specific parameters and enter this:

Code: Select all
container == iso :: -vf-add format=i420,scale,expand=-1:-1:-1:-1:1,format=bgr24,scale

What that does is enable an extra set of options that only takes effect when viewing DVD isos. You may want to specify "true ::" or maybe "container == vob ::" instead, depending on what you're viewing.

Here's why it works (I think ;) ):
The OSD in mencoder doesn't work very well in the color space that DVDs are in (yv12) as described here: http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mpl ... 40805.html.

My solution was to use the video filters to convert to bgr24 colorspace, apply the overlay with the "expand" filter, then convert back to a color space that the mpeg2video encoder likes (i420)
Saturn49

Postby shagrath » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:29 am

Saturn49, very interesting ! :)
you just solved issue 41 :p
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Saturn49 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Doing it in a more general case might be a bit more difficult - you may need to know the color space of the original to know whether or not to apply this. Or maybe apply it whenever the destination is mpeg2video.
Saturn49

Return to General Help and Support