n00b Help

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

n00b Help

Postby dkainer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi guys,
I've been looking for a user guide but could not find one. If you could answer the following, I'd be very grateful.
1. When transferring video's, I get 2 files, an MEncoder and the standard file that was on the laptop.
Why is this? The MEncoder file is a lot larger than the original file ie. 4.6 GB vs 708MB, both files playback the same, no noticeable difference.
2. Any info regarding, what transcoding is? Any advisable settings dependant on video format? ie. What settings do you use?
3. Can I transfer files without transcoding so that I just get the original file?

I know these are total n00b questions but would appreciate any helpful answers.
Thanks guys, I think this is an excellent piece of SW, way better than using WMP 11.

:)
dkainer
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: n00b Help

Postby meskibob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:04 pm

dkainer wrote:1. When transferring video's, I get 2 files, an MEncoder and the standard file that was on the laptop. Why is this? The MEncoder file is a lot larger than the original file ie. 4.6 GB vs 708MB, both files playback the same, no noticeable difference.
Because you're transcoding to mpeg-2, which takes up more space than some of the newer video codecs (eg H.264)
dkainer wrote:2. Any info regarding, what transcoding is? Any advisable settings dependant on video format? ie. What settings do you use?
Transcoding takes files that are not PS3 compatible and converts them to a PS3 ready format, and it does this without the need to manually do this yourself or create temp files.
dkainer wrote:3. Can I transfer files without transcoding so that I just get the original file?
Yes, if the file is already PS3 compatible.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob
Moderator
 
Posts: 4739
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: n00b Help

Postby dkainer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:32 pm

Meskibob, thank you so much for getting back to me.
I'll look into transcoding into H.264.
Everything you said makes sense.

Cheers mate :)
dkainer
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:04 pm


Return to General Help and Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], maxmc87 and 10 guests