Delay showing PMS on the PS3 since 1.51

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Delay showing PMS on the PS3 since 1.51

Postby scotster » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Ever since upgrading to 1.5x I have noticed a rather strange issue with PMS. Is there a configuration for how often it should broadcast or something?

Here is a basic scenario of what's going on....

I turn on the PS3, no PMS.
I restart the server on PMS... bingo it shows on the PS3.
I watch a show and then turn off the PS3.
I immediately turn the PS3 back on... no PMS.
If i restart the server on PMS, it shows almost immediately on the PS3.

Now, since then I have noticed something very important. PMS will show on the PS3 if it's left for long enough, I think it was around 5 mins the last time I checked (Quicker to just restart the server). The trace shows nothing untoward. The notification along the bottom constantly shows the previous show to be streamed and the PS3 shows as connected on PMS even when it is turned off. All of this seems really strange to me.

I had to select the correct network interface as there seems to be a massive change on the options there. I had 3 in the past, I now have about 10.

I checked the changelog and I didn't notice anything that corresponded to the issue I've been having so I'm kinda stumped.

Anyone noticed anything similar?

Thanks
scotster

Re: Delay showing PMS on the PS3 since 1.51

Postby meskibob » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:25 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby scotster » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks for the link. I should have mentioned I already seen that.

DMZ is turned on with my router and I have already allowed all ports through my Avast firewall.

As I said, it's only done this since the update. Nothing else has changed with my setup.
scotster

Postby scotster » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:50 pm

I've just gone back to 1.50 and the problem is solved. No idea what's wrong with the versions after that, in relation to my setup, but as I had no issues with 1.50 I'll just stick with it for now.
scotster

Postby meskibob » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Can you re-try 1.52 with all software firewalls disabled? Also check the Auto Sandbox settings in Avast (although this normally blocks all PMS connections, not just the multicast).
AFAIK there shouldn't be any differences between 1.50 and 1.52 that would lead to this kind of behavior. The one thing I could see is the firewall blocking a file in 1.52 that doesn't exist 1.50, so testing with all firewalls disabled should help eliminate that...
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby scotster » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 pm

Will have a look tomorrow, TV time now :D
scotster

Postby scotster » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Ok I have managed to sort this out, no idea why it made so much of a difference but I had to dedicate the IP in PMS.

Network card is forced
IP is forced
Port is forced (5001)

With the above configuration all versions of PMS work as they should.

The trace shows the following when it's working...

Created socket: /192.168.0.xxx:5001

The trace shows the following when it's not working (Ie when I leave the settings as default and don't force)

Created socket: /00.00.00.00:5001

From this I am assuming that forcing the IP is the linchpin to the operation, even though I forced the Port it still came up as 5001 regardless. I have put my router back to normal (full firewall), Avast software firewall is back to how it was and it all still works as it always did.

It was just a coincidence when I updated to 1.51 as I uninstalled 1.50 before installing 1.51. Previously I would just install over the top of the previous version. Doing it this way removed all my IP forcing, which I had always used, and when I went back to 1.50 I went through everything again to make sure it was tip top, this is the reason it instantly worked as soon as I went back to 1.50. Today I installed the 1.52.1 update right over the top of my 1.50 version and it worked fine. From there I started my investigation, fortunately the first thing I did was remove all the forcing and it stopped working.

Mystery solved :D
scotster

Postby taconaut » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks for explaining. Trying to bind to the 0 IP doesn't sound too good.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby Val Killmore » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:50 pm

I wonder why the PMS.conf would change between an "over-install" . Perhaps an issue with the newer build ? This is the second post I have seen recently where someone has a 0.0.0.0 IP assigned. (but of course I can't locate it for the life of me.......)
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby scotster » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:36 am

Not sure if this has any bearing on this previous issue I had but I had to do a LOT of messing around to get PMS up and running properly on my new build. Unfortunately I didn't keep any of the trace logs but I'll describe the issue as best as I can.

Ok, so prior to today I had no idea what "install as a service" actually meant. Everytime I tried I got an error and didn't bother pursuing the issue. This all changed when I built my new system which is a bit of a horse. Prior to today I would just add PMS to the Startup folder, and leave it to it. Doing this didn't work as something goes wrong with the java when loading. I'm not sure if it's because of the loading being SO fast that it causes an issue, but it's definitely java related as theres about 10 lines of error code telling me so. A "restart" of the server seen everything running perfectly. No matter what settings I changed I would get exactly the same issue, on reboot the ole java issue would raise its head.... restart server = problem solved.

This is ok as long as the PC is running but if the Wife turned it on and wanted to do anything it would be a pain taking her through it all as my mediaserver has no monitor or interface, I solely use remote desktop to manage it.

Soooooo, I turned my attention to the "install as a service". Run as administrator had the service installed, changing the Java directory in the config had it running properly and then configuring the firewall had it running sweet.

Since then the only issue I had was the ole AVI stutter/audio delay issue. I just changed that to forced transcode so hopefully THAT issue is now resolved.

Anyway, and sorry for taking so long to get to the point I just wanted to give a little background, I was thinking that perhaps the issue with the 0.0.0.0 IP was down to people using the start menu to run PMS rather than the install service option? It certainly doesn't work with my current system :)
scotster

Return to General Help and Support