wireless/wired? possible?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

wireless/wired? possible?

Postby ludwig » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:03 pm

I don't know if this is possible, I'm new at this and I am just curious if it could be done.

Please understand that these are the variables I am dealing with, and I can't change the way my network is wired. I know it is stupid, I know it's not the best way, but I live with roommates that are hard headed about it staying the way it is.

My internet comes in on the third floor, into a modem -> wireless router.

My computer is located on the first, as is my ps3. They both connect to the internet wirelessly. I'm having a hard time streaming to the ps3 and I want to see if a wired connection will help. What I want to do is this:

have my ps3 use the wireless for internet, and wired for lan.

Even if there is some way to make the ps3 use my internet through wired connection (thus eliminating the the wi-fi on the ps3) that would be great.

Can it be done?

thanks!
-kevin
ludwig

Re: wireless/wired? possible?

Postby Subject2Change » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:26 pm

Can only use 1 NIC at a time, so if you wanted to switch between you'd have to re-establish the connection. Have you considered maybe Home Plugs as an option? you plug in one end into a router, the other into a power source then the 2nd one into a power source and into your PS3. It acts closer to a wired connection.

Or if you really needed to switch between the connections Wireless (Gaming, downloads, etc) and Wired (LAN with a router and your PC). It's a hassle but it will at least give you a better stream.
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Return to General Help and Support