3ivx codec support for Flip Video?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

3ivx codec support for Flip Video?

Postby bruce » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this world, having just started messing around with some media servers to stream to my PS3.

Everything except for some video files that I have is working great. The other servers I'm running (Windows Media Connect and TwonkyMedia) do not support the codec in my Flip Video videos, which is 3ivx. I've installed the 3ivx codecs on my WHS, as well as the latest VLC (which can play the 3ivx videos). So I have confidence that the codecs are installed and working.

Just today, I installed and tried the PS3 Media Server (v1.10.51) too, but it also does not support 3ivx. All three servers give the same error when attempting to play the video files - 800288C1 - Unsupported Media.

Does the PS3 Media Server automatically find and use newly installed codecs, or only the ones that it comes with?

Any suggestions for how I can get these videos playing back on my PS3?

Thanks!
Bruce
-----
HP EX487, 2.1TB online (500G, 1TB, 300GB, 300GB), 2GB RAM
PC1: Dell 670, Vista Ultimate x64, 4GB RAM
PC2: ThinkPad T41p, XP SP3, 2GB RAM
PC3: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.6, 4 GB RAM
Router: NetGear WNR3500 Gigabit-N
PlayStation 3
-----
bruce

Re: 3ivx codec support for Flip Video?

Postby meskibob » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:51 pm

bruce wrote:Everything except for some video files that I have is working great. The other servers I'm running (Windows Media Connect and TwonkyMedia) do not support the codec in my Flip Video videos, which is 3ivx. I've installed the 3ivx codecs on my WHS, as well as the latest VLC (which can play the 3ivx videos). So I have confidence that the codecs are installed and working.
I'm pretty sure VLC doesn't actually look at any of the codecs installed on the machine as it does everything through its own internal engine(s). The real test to see if the codec is properly installed is playing the file with a player like Media Player Classic.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby bruce » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm pretty sure VLC doesn't actually look at any of the codecs installed on the machine as it does everything through its own internal engine(s). The real test to see if the codec is properly installed is playing the file with a player like Media Player Classic.

Yes, the files also play back in Windows Media Player, so the codecs are installed properly and working.

If you go to the Transcode Settings tab, there is a list of Transcoding engines on the left in a list. After VLC was installed, some new ones were enabled. This made me wonder (hope) that PS3 Media Server also would find new codecs that were installed.

I'm still in the same place - the 3ivx files work on the machine when played locally, but when accessed from the PS3, they get an error - 800288C1 - Unsupported Media.

Anyone else have ideas?

Thanks,
Bruce
-----
HP EX487, 2.1TB online (500G, 1TB, 300GB, 300GB), 2GB RAM
PC1: Dell 670, Vista Ultimate x64, 4GB RAM
PC2: ThinkPad T41p, XP SP3, 2GB RAM
PC3: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.6, 4 GB RAM
Router: NetGear WNR3500 Gigabit-N
PlayStation 3
-----
bruce

Postby meskibob » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:06 pm

FFMpeg should handle the 3ivx codec, so install AviSynth and then try transcoding with the AviSynth/FFMpeg engine (make sure to enable the engine in the PMS settings once AviSynth is installed).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support