Switch to tsMuxeR when video compatible...

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Switch to tsMuxeR when video compatible...

Postby ExSport » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:24 pm

Hello Shagrath
Please how this option is working?
When I choose mencoder from Transcode folder and video is compatible then tsMuxeR is used?
If yes, I think better solution is to use opposite algorithm.
My priority list is tsMuxeR and then Mencoder....all other I have disabled(avisynth) so if I want to use transcoding I need to use TRANSCODE folder for that.
So I think the best way is to use mencoder when video is not compatible with PS3 so it means all compatible videos will play via tsMuxeR and if video will not be compatible, mencoder will be used so people will not see black picture when played via tsMuxer=without recompression.
What do you mean about it?
Many thanks fro your opinion 8-)
ExSport

Re: Switch to tsMuxeR when video compatible...

Postby ExSport » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:02 pm

So how it works Shagrath? :twisted:
Thanks
ExSport

Postby ExSport » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:51 pm

Tested myself at the weekend and found out that option always uses tsmuxer also when I choose Mencoder from transcode folder with embded subtitles (in MKV)
Then subtitles are not visible:-(
It is possible to force transcoding instead of muxing only when video file is not compatible so avoid black picture? But in case I choose Mencoder, mencoder will be used? Hope you understand me 8-)
Many thanks
ExSport

Postby shagrath » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:25 pm

use mencoder, period... mencoder will take care of all cases, tsmuxer will not...
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ExSport » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:34 pm

No problem at all but I use mencoder only for non compatible files so when file is unsupported/black picture/no audio.
So I thought that your new settings "Switch to tsMuxeR..." and coded algorithm how to find out if video is PS3 compatible will be used on this purpose.
But I already found out that my understanding of this option was wrong.
But I don't understand at all why you coded this new option as it is now(less useful when in opposite meaning) :D I thought that opposite usage will be more usefull for people ;)
But as you said, PERIOD.....
ExSport

Postby shagrath » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:37 pm

it's like asking what primary engine is used the most... I do not know the answer, so I pick the most useful behavior to me...
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ExSport » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:42 pm

:mrgreen: It is a pity you don't use preferably tsMuxeR as me and MEncoder only when muxing(video&audio) is not working :lol:
ExSport

Postby miketja » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:40 pm

I think there's a valid point here. My setup is as default, where if the content is deemed compatible with the PS3, it's remuxed by tsMuxer, rather than transcoded to MPEG-2. This makes sense, there's no point in transcoding if the PS3 can handle the source video content, right? However, I've found a few cases where the content "seems" to be PS3 compliant, but it's not. It plays, shows "AVC" in the status on the PS3, but the screen is black. In those cases, it seems sensible to me that there should be an option in the -TRANSCODE- menu to FORCE transcoding, rather than remuxing, for that particular file. If any of the Mencoder options in there are selected, it still goes through the algorithm of checking to see if the H.264 video is PS3 compatible, it thinks it is, and it just remuxes again, not transcodes (unless subtitles are selected, at which point that forces it to transcode).

Perhaps there's a configuration possibility that I've missed here?
miketja

Return to General Help and Support