PMS not starting ???

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PMS not starting ???

Postby pupa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:41 am

Sad news, My PMS is broken. For some reason when I start PMS nothing happens. I uninstalled, re installed, went back to vers 1.50 and 1.50b2, etc but nothing. Something is up and I do not know when this problem started. The process or application does not even exist once PMS is started, there is also no debug.log file. I have read somewhere that it can be a java issue when PMS cannot find the network. I may also be a win7 issue I think. Any advice.
pupa

Re: PMS not starting ???

Postby ducky8888 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:51 am

I am having what appears to be the same problem. Not sure if its actually the same or not. Here are my symptoms:

starting through the icon on the desktop does nothing, PMS starts for a millisecond then disappears
I have it setup as a service, noticed it does not start automatically, upon manually trying to start the service it gives an "error 2" and going to event logs shows PMS tried to start but couldnt because of a missing file, but no clue as to which file

one of the reasons I am not suspecting my issue is the same is that I had a failing hard drive. After looking at the logs I notice i had a bunch of "hard drive has bad sectors" errors. I ran a chkdsk, it found the errors in the fonts folder and supposedly it recovered the corrupted files.

but alas, it still does not work. I have moved everything over to a new hard drive (ghost), uninstalled, deleted folders, and reinstalled but still have the same problem.
ducky8888

Postby meskibob » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:16 am

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ducky8888 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:06 pm

My issue was Java, complete uninstall and re-install fixed it. Thank You very much for the info!
ducky8888

Postby goonar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:51 am

I had the same problem and the saolution was to configure PMS in my Firewall for fix it
goonar

Postby pupa » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Ok after normal installation PMS still does not work from my system GUI (Windows7 Ultimate 64).
This is how I solved my issue:

From here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2484
I copied this code (Thanks Exsport) and edited the code to suit my system. I just copy the code in a text file (notepad) and save as PMS.cmd or PMS.bat (Save as type "All files (*.*))

Code: Select all
@echo off
taskkill /IM javaw.exe /T /F >nul 2>nul
cd D:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server
start javaw -Xmx1198M -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.encoding=UTF-8 -jar pms.jar net.pms.PMS

remember to change the memory size -Xmx1198M to a lower value ie -Xmx786M if you have lower memory ....I have 6GB memory and use 2* PS3's.

Then edit the start and other icon properties to "D:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\PMS.cmd" under the "Target" input. Also select "Run this program as an administrator" under compatibility

Then all works Ok again. Strange but true.
pupa

Return to General Help and Support