Streaming Issue.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Streaming Issue.

Postby relayer35 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Background: PMS running on AMD Athlox 64 X2 5600+, 2GB RAM, machine connected via 100 megabit wired ethernet.

There are 2 PS3's on the network, one wired (works perfect), one wireless, connected to a NetGear WGR614v5 router converted to a WAP, 802.11g. The WAP is upstairs almost directly above the wireless PS3. The PS3 reports a wireless signal strength of 100%.

90% of the media I play back is H.264 encoded MKV's with Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS soundtrack at 720p or lower resolution (480p, as I have a lot of my own DVD rips, created with Handbrake). These all play back fine, on both the wired and wireless PS3, using tsmuxer and PMS.

Some of the DVD rips did not have a 5.1 audio track, so I used the straight PS3 preset in Handbrake to create them (720x480 resolution). They are MP4 files, with the AVC video and AAC 2ch audio. These playback natively on the PS3, not transcoding is necessary.

However, using PMS, the wireless PS3 stutters badly with these files, even though it plays back the other MKV's using the same level of video compression flawlessly (using tsMuxer transcoding). The difference is the MP4 files are handled by straight streaming versus transcoding.

If I use Mencoder, I can play back these files fine with the wireless PS3. This is not my preffered option.
If I force tsMuxer, the audio gets converted on the fly to Dolby Digital, and the file plays back without stuttering, but the audio and video go out of sync real fast.

As a test, I still had Tversity running on one of the other wired PC's on my network. I put the MP4s that were giving me problems on Tversity and tried to stream them to the PS3 connected via wireless, and they play back without any problem with Tversity. So I know the wireless bandwith is enough to handle these files.

Why would transcoding work okay, but straight streaming not?

Not a big issue, I have workarounds, but any help is appreciated! Thanks!
relayer35

Re: Streaming Issue.

Postby shagrath » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:24 pm

sorry, cannot do anything about this... every wireless stuttering videos I got, also stutters with other servers...
it's hard to try to solve something without reproducing it first
I know something is not perfect somewhere (same issues with avi/mp4 network errors on osx for example)

I have almost open sourced the project to get help to solve networking problems like this, but nobody ever tried to show some interest in this :)

you'll have to wait for someone with same troubles and willing to dive into the code ...
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby relayer35 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. Just a very strange problem, considering that when using tsMuxer it plays back stutter free (though the video plays much faster than the sound).

Copying the file to the PS3 via the wireless network took less than 10 minutes (840mb). Certainly it should have streamed okay. Wish I knew something about networking code so I could help you. I'm a programmer, but unfortunately most of my programming is for large mainframe systems.
relayer35

Postby shagrath » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:46 pm

there's troubles with avi/mp4 because playback of those is broken on ps3... ps3 initiates a connection for every 300 or 400 kB chunk, compared
to a single one to get hundreds megabytes mpeg files...
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Zr0 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:30 am

I'm also having this problem with streaming MP4 AVC videos at times. I'm on an e7200 C2D with 2 gb ram and a wired network.

I recently ripped a dvd and converted it using Ripbot264 to an mp4(x264) and I cannot stream it without studdering. Transcoded it runs fine although with a high network usage. I find it rather strange that I can throw the same mp4 on a USB stick and the ps3 will play it no problem. Unfortunately I'm no coder, just an end user. Hopefully someone will get to the bottom of this and help us out so I'm bumping this thread :mrgreen:
Zr0

Return to General Help and Support