Transcode buffer causing problems

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Transcode buffer causing problems

Postby Ty13r____Durd3n » Sat May 19, 2012 3:07 pm

Any body know how to copy movie files onto the ps3 if they only come up in the transcoding folder? im trying to copy a movie onto my ps3 and i cant copy it normally from the desktop. when i streaming it from the transcoding it stutters really badly and came up with subtitles so i went to one of the files with the flag on it that has the subtitles removed and copied that file. Now the 700 mb file is copying in the display where it shows the number of how many mb have been copied instead of the percentage of the download. my 700 mb movie is being copied without the subtitles into a 2.8 gb file and still continuing to download?? what do i do?? can you copy the transcoding files onto your ps3 with the flags on them????
Ty13r____Durd3n

Postby nirman23 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:10 am

Chrisoim wrote:Hi, I'm at my wits end with this:

1- Intel i7 930 @2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, Windows 7 home premium 64Bit, using PMS 1.50.1
2- Streaming to PS3
3- PC GBE->Router GBE-> PS3
4- All of the encoders cause problems as does pure streaming
5-
Ok, So I used to have the fatal memory error so i downsized my Transcode buffer to 400MB and everything seemed fine, however recently I started having problems with .avi files larger than 400MB (less than 400MB would work fine), they would just go crazy, video freezing while audio continued then it would reverse and the audio would freeze while the video caught up. looking everywhere i found a solution which involved setting the transcode buffer at 600MB. This worked flawlessly with my .avi files, but caused the fatal error again. So i tried editing the PS3.bat file but windows 7 being a pain wouldn't let me save the altered file to the correct place, so i went to "proper" administrator mode and edited the file to use javaw -Xmx2048M, since i have a lot of RAM it seemed like it would give plenty of room for 600mb buffer and for the program to run and do it's thing.

So after rebooting, I tried the .avi files and they worked fine again, tried an MKV, and the thing pretty much skipped massive sections of the movie, looked at debug and there was no fatal error message, so i ran it again and noticed the transcode buffer never exceeded 100mb before it went back to 0 and started filling again. I dropped the setting to 400mb again, and the .MKV played fine filling up the buffer quickly and staying full, but once again larger .avi files (any avi bigger than the transcode buffer) would freeze and jump its way through.

I notice it only affects .avi files greater than the transcode buffer which suggests (even though the buffer stays empty when playing the avi files) that the media server is trying to buffer the entire file rather than stream it directly (sorry i'm not too sure how it functions) and often only when it gets near the middle to end of the file (IE when it is nearing the 400mb point of the file)

I've tried all the solutions i could find on this board but they only fix one or the other either my files which need transcoding work fine or my avi files work fine, never both. it is driving me insane, I have to keep restarting PS3 media server with a different transcode buffer to watch my videos.

I have yet to try a >600mb .avi file but i suspect it will cause problems too, i will let you know.

I'm sorry i don't have a debug available now, i have to keep quitting to try new settings. I will do lots of tests tomorrow and try and save the debug file.

I hope someone can help me, because it is really frustrating to get to the end of a movie or show and have it become unwatchable at the interesting parts!

It should be noted I have watched my resource monitor during the freezes and pauses and there is plenty of CPU and RAM free, and network utilization barely registers

I thank anyone who can help me solve this in advance.

*Update*: it now appears all avi files are having problems again, regardless of size :(

Hi,

I had the same problem, but there was no problem and it suddenly occurred. What I did is deleted a lot of files on the drive which had the "movies" I wanted to play. This solved my problem. PS3 Media Server requires a lot of space for transcoding+streaming or just streaming, so the requirement of space is a big issue. Having 6-7Gb of free space won't help. You need to have atleast more than 10GB of free space on the drive where you have stored the Video/Movie file.

Also, I had my pagefile.sys (windows memory dump) on the same drive as the "movie-files". So i could not see that while transcoding, the pagefile itself would take up about 2-3GB plus, PS3 Media Server would take up it's own amount of hard disk space. So be sure you don't have such invisible temporary file system on the same drive. I hope this solves your problem.

Cheers.
nirman23

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:00 pm

nirman23 wrote:PS3 Media Server requires a lot of space for transcoding+streaming or just streaming, so the requirement of space is a big issue. Having 6-7Gb of free space won't help. You need to have atleast more than 10GB of free space on the drive where you have stored the Video/Movie file.

The disk space used by PMS temporary files can be seen by checking the temp directory. On my system, it's currently 2.9 MB. The disk space used for transcoding depends on the OS implementation and configuration of named pipes. On Linux:

When processes are exchanging data via the FIFO, the kernel passes all data internally without writing it to the file system.

I would expect the same to be true on Windows.

Remuxing may use temporary files (check the debug.log), but their size should be negligible compared to that of the input files.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby 420grower » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:16 am

Well i know this thread is old and i just could'nt leave it alone without trying to help.So i too had the same problem even went as far as to delete PMS ,but a day later reinstalled the program and was determined to fix the problem.All my moives are mp4 dont understand why you would want your video media in any other format. , Mp4 plays on everything but thats other people preference , so to the point i just went to (TRANSCODING SETTINGS) then under video settings i went to (SKIP TRANSCODE FOR THE FOLLOWING EXTENSIONS (COMMA SEPARATED): and the i just entered (MP4 ) thats it ,i mean BAMMM..problem fixed.Now my moives stream to my ps3 perfectly , NOTE : my ps3 is WIRED not WIRELESS .I hope this helps someone i was stuck too and just needed a simple answer like this but never found it i had to just really try to figure it out and its done ..peace yall
420grower

Postby Raptor399 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 pm

420grower wrote:so to the point i just went to (TRANSCODING SETTINGS) then under video settings i went to (SKIP TRANSCODE FOR THE FOLLOWING EXTENSIONS (COMMA SEPARATED): and the i just entered (MP4 ) thats it ,i mean BAMMM..problem fixed.

Thanks for sharing.

No surprise: if you disable transcoding for your movies, you won't run into transcoding buffer since they will not be transcoded.

Sometimes transcoding cannot be omitted though, e.g. when subtitles need to be burned. For those cases your proposed solution will not apply.
Raptor399
Project Member

Previous

Return to General Help and Support