browsing files takes forever

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: browsing files takes forever

Postby Martin Smith » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:38 am

There has been a definite reduction in speed,Folders as normal ,but browsing folder contents up by 100% on previous version.Tried resetting media server helped it could see contents but still s;ow.
Martin Smith

Postby huffie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:29 am

Martin Smith wrote:There has been a definite reduction in speed,Folders as normal ,but browsing folder contents up by 100% on previous version.Tried resetting media server helped it could see contents but still s;ow.

perhaps a hard-disk defragmentation could help?
huffie

Postby redwinnie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:58 am

I have found that going into folders takes ages to. Up to a minute for a folder with 20-30 files ( I accept this could be computer spped related, 2.4ghz with 1gb ram) . But even 10 seconds for files with only one files in. I am not using the media libary option.

Even more puzzling is how random the files display. I am only using PMS for videos. All are either VOB or AVI created by me (so all are identical). VOB for films (5.1)and AVI for TV/Films (stereo). Sometimes I look my film folder and (for example) the godfather will say unsupported data. On a different day I will look in the same folder and godfather will be fine but godfather 2 will be unplayable and say unsupported data.

As far as I am aware vob and avi will play on ps3 so don't need transcoding (before PMS all films were on the ps3 hard drive and played fine). Does PMS have an option to just work as a "plain" media server not a "transcoder"?
redwinnie

Postby shagrath » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:57 am

redwinnie wrote:I am not using the media libary option.

you should
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby leklausm » Mon May 11, 2009 2:41 pm

I am running a 2Ghz Dual Core Vista PC with 2GB of RAM and my media is on a Buffalo Network HDD running at 100megabits. Especially since the latest build of PMS on March 9th I have VERY slow browse times. A folder with 15-25 videos can take about a minute to load (and sometimes won't load after a while), music is also very slow with about a 5 sec pause between tracks, and I have tried everything suggested so far on this forum (enabling and disabling media library and even deleting the library files from the PMS program folder. It makes no noticeable difference whether media lib is on or off or if thumbnails are on or off. Playback is almost always smooth once it starts, even in HD. This can't be normal for my PC's speed right? Any suggestions are welcome.... :?:
leklausm

Postby LarryTru » Mon May 11, 2009 3:50 pm

Hello, I posted my experience about this under "Low performance with RAW images". I have directories of 500 pictures each and I've observed that if I wait (10-15 minutes) for all the image sin a directory to be listed in the XMB, I can browse the picturew reasonably well. While it is reading the directory, it adds 20 at a time every 15 seconds or so to the list. Randomly, it has touble with secific files and reports "corrupted data".

wired gigbit, dual core processor 4GB RAM.

Larry
LarryTru

Postby leklausm » Mon May 11, 2009 4:12 pm

That's interesting LarryTru, saw your post eariler...does this only happen with that one file type? For me it's just the size/quantity of files that makes it load slower. I assume yours are larger than normal pix...when my vids pop up they also are added in bursts, and when I goto 'Trancode' I have to wait for them to load again!
leklausm

Postby jebise101 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:02 pm

i have it installed as a service so i don't have to deal with the java client. But when ever i restart the server it takes a while for it to show up and even then loading thumnails takes even longer. When i enable media library my whole harddrive is opened and not just the folder i want to see which is weird.
jebise101

Postby lennartz » Mon May 11, 2009 9:59 pm

I have the same problem.
Folders show up very fast but the contents are listed very slow.
At first I thought it had to do with the "thumbnail generation" so I disabled this.
But this didn't made the listing any faster.

As Larry Try also sayd, sometimes files are marked as "corrupted" seemingly random when they really aren't.
The listing is very slow (listing of 20 videofiles take 30 seconds) on a 1.8ghz Celeron.
lennartz

Postby shayno » Tue May 12, 2009 12:59 am

My prob is a small one,

I have a whole heap of episodes in one folder is there a way i can play the first one and then it will auto play the second and third and so on,
I have noticed it did it on one occasion but i can not get it to do it again, Now when the first episode finishes it just stops and does not carry on to the second.

Regards
shayno

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support