browsing files takes forever

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

browsing files takes forever

Postby clangenb » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi there,
I just upgraded to the latest version and always was very happy with PS3 Media Server. Unfortunately, now it takes a very long time until the files in a folder show up. Subfolder, however, are shown quickly. I am running vista 64. Does anybody has had experiences with this issue as well? Cheers!
clangenb

Re: browsing files takes forever

Postby eppen » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:53 pm

Yes, same thing has happened to me. Both browsing for files and starting a stream is very slow in the newest version.
eppen

Postby koshia » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:30 am

Whewhhhh!!! I thought it was just me. I just recently transitioned over from TVersity. I love this media server, but as the both of you said... the slow browsing and streaming is killing the happy felling. Oh well, i'll wait for a fix.
koshia

Postby shagrath » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:24 am

can you be more precise ? what file type (audio, video) ? codecs ? how much files do you have in sub folders ? etc.
and I'm wondering what "slow streaming" means lol
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby clangenb » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:37 am

Thanks for the reply. The actual appearance of the files in a folder (not dependent on the quantity of files, is the same for only one) takes a very long time. By long time I mean 10-20 seconds. The start of a file (independent of the file type) again takes a bout 10-20 seconds. It is very weird, as the subfolder are showing up immediately.

cheers
clangenb

Postby 9Mqjq2k13 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:52 am

I think this is because the fist time you enter a folder its content is not cached.
The second time I enter a folder it's fast.
9Mqjq2k13

Postby eppen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:57 pm

I am having problems with browsing both mp3 music files and video files.
It seems like the folders show up fast enough, but listing the files are very slow.

Have also noticed that starting stream of a mp3 file for instance takes longer.
I am talking up towards 10 seconds to get the stram startet.

in fact it is now as slow as tversity was on whs.
Others may know that tversity is notsupported by whs OS.

Can this be a WHS problem as well?
eppen

Postby meskibob » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:46 pm

Try enabling the Media Library, or resetting it if it's already enabled (don't rescan the folders). The first browse through will still be slow, but after that it should be fine.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby clampy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:10 pm

does scanning the folders build the same cache as doing a browse from the ps3? im also having the issue of a really slow initial browse, even after scanning the folders! (i stopped the scan when it passed the video section, which is what i then tested. do i need to let it complete 100%?) im not using thumbnails.

the media server is running in a vm on an intel e5200 2.5ghz dualcore with 1280mb ram, with the vm having access to 1 core. it resides on a slowish raid5 array, the same array which holds the data, so disk performance could be slow, but id like to be able to 'pre-load' the cache. last scan of my 550GB-ish of data took 4 hours - mostly tv shows ie average file size 175-350mb in size.
clampy

Postby clampy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:11 pm

ps love the app, great work so far, can only imagine how good its going to get in future. couldnt believe it took me less than 10 minutes to get working :)
clampy

Next

Return to General Help and Support