trying NOT to transcode

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: trying NOT to transcode

Postby kage99 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:39 am

Thank you! I've checked my PC and yes, after about 4-5 minutes my P4 hovers around 5-10% CPU (usually lower) - so I now know that it is not transcoding.

I have another related question: some of my ISOs contain a DTS track, and my receiver is able to decode 5.1 PCM. However, even when I enable DTS/FLAC -> PCM remux under "Common Transcode Settings" the DTS track still plays as Dolby Digital 5.1 at about 448 kps. How do I get remux DTS tracks into PCM 5.1?

Kage99.
kage99

Postby Marino13 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:56 am

This is happening the way you are explaining it. The cpu usage starts high and within 2 minutes is down to 4-5%. Are you saying that this means that it is not transcoding? I was reffering to the "traces" tab when I was saying it was transcoding. In the "iso" or "video_ts" scenario it always had a line that said "starting transcoding title 1". With the vob's joined together or with blu-ray rips or avc mp4 files it does not say anything and the transcoder buffer does not fill up. Also, in the iso or video_ts files I am not able to use the PS3 view button to move through the video in 1,2,5 minute intervals while in the other files I am able to. Any thoughts?
Marino13

Postby shagrath » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:47 am

Marino13 wrote:This is happening the way you are explaining it. The cpu usage starts high and within 2 minutes is down to 4-5%. Are you saying that this means that it is not transcoding? I was reffering to the "traces" tab when I was saying it was transcoding. In the "iso" or "video_ts" scenario it always had a line that said "starting transcoding title 1". With the vob's joined together or with blu-ray rips or avc mp4 files it does not say anything and the transcoder buffer does not fill up. Also, in the iso or video_ts files I am not able to use the PS3 view button to move through the video in 1,2,5 minute intervals while in the other files I am able to. Any thoughts?

you can call that transcoding, but actual it's mored called remuxing : just leave audio and video parts intact, and mux them into a new container...
seeking will also be slower
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby kage99 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:36 pm

What about getting the DTS audio on ISOs to remux to PCM? As indicated in my post above, I've turned on the option in the General Options, but the PS3 still states that the audio is coming in at Dolby Digital 5.1 @ 448 kps (approximately).

Kage99.
kage99

Postby shagrath » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:49 pm

kage99 wrote:What about getting the DTS audio on ISOs to remux to PCM? As indicated in my post above, I've turned on the option in the General Options, but the PS3 still states that the audio is coming in at Dolby Digital 5.1 @ 448 kps (approximately).

Kage99.

not supported for now
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby kage99 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:03 pm

Thank you for all your help. I will donate some money for the excellent work you've done on the software.

Kage99.
kage99

Postby Marino13 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:07 am

shagrath wrote:
Marino13 wrote:This is happening the way you are explaining it. The cpu usage starts high and within 2 minutes is down to 4-5%. Are you saying that this means that it is not transcoding? I was reffering to the "traces" tab when I was saying it was transcoding. In the "iso" or "video_ts" scenario it always had a line that said "starting transcoding title 1". With the vob's joined together or with blu-ray rips or avc mp4 files it does not say anything and the transcoder buffer does not fill up. Also, in the iso or video_ts files I am not able to use the PS3 view button to move through the video in 1,2,5 minute intervals while in the other files I am able to. Any thoughts?

you can call that transcoding, but actual it's mored called remuxing : just leave audio and video parts intact, and mux them into a new container...
seeking will also be slower

Why does it need to do this in this format but doesn't need to when you join all of the vob's together?
Marino13

Previous

Return to General Help and Support