What Video Quality Settings to Use?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

What Video Quality Settings to Use?

Postby hammmy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Hey guys, recent Tversity convert here. My question is, what video quality settings should I use for streaming to my PS3?

I have the PS3 connected to a Panasonic 42" plasma that natively supports 1024x768 which means streaming 1920x1080 is wasting my 802.11g bandwidth which appears to top out around 22Mbps. Coming from Tversity, I'm familiar with having an option to limit streamed bandwidth by resolution while PS3MS has another way of doing it that I don't understand yet.

Thanks for looking!
hammmy

Re: What Video Quality Settings to Use?

Postby hammmy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Was this a stupid question? I see that the Video Quality Settings drop-down menu on the Transcoding Settings tab has various presets that I can select but I'm asking what settings should I use to optimize for displaying 1024x768 as that is the most my HDTV can natively display and anything beyond that is fluff that will be downconverted.
hammmy

Postby meskibob » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:09 pm

Well, it's more dependent on what your system can process. If you can comfortably stream/transcode (meaning bandwidth and CPU usage) with the highest settings, why not do it? If not, decrease the quality settings. There's no real set standards since every setup is different, so it's up to you to play around a little bit and find what works for you. Sorry if this is not the response for which you were looking.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby hammmy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:17 pm

Well, my PC is a single core, so that is a limitation I should have mentioned. I do not mind pausing the media to allow transcoding to work ahead but I'm looking to find out if I can (like Tversity) limit my maximum resolution to what my TV can actually use first before adjusting down from that maximum quality point to what I feel is a comfortable compromise between quality and stability. Like you suggest, I have been playing around with the presets to see what works and what doesn't but I'd rather not operate blindly if I don't have to.

Where can I learn more about keyint, vqscale, and vqmin?
hammmy

Postby shagrath » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:33 am

you have a scaler option in the mencoder config panel
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby hammmy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:23 am

Thanks, I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
hammmy

Postby hammmy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:39 am

I found the video scaler and am now happy.

Thanks for the program, Shagrath. It's amazing how much value your tool adds to the PS3. Without it, I'd be trying to get rid of my PS3 because Sony's lack of support for even the simplest software features like background copying is ridiculous and make my $600 box an extremely overpriced, overhyped, and dated gaming console.
hammmy

Postby hammmy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:30 am

Hey, one other question: on the Status tab, what does "Current bitrate" under "I/O statistics" track? Is it showing the current variable bitrate-per-second being transcoded? Or is it showing the bitrate throughput of the connection to the PS3? I've been running some long transcoded copies to the PS3's harddrive and am curious about what exactly it's telling me.

I've been fooling around a little with my home network to try and maximize throughput to the PS3--I've got a wired D-Link router that's the heart of the network and I have a wireless-g Belkin router plugged into the D-Link's switch that's dumbed-down as a NAT-free access point, which is what I have the PS3 connected to. I was thinking that if I put my PC on the Belkin's switch that I might see some improvement in throughput or latency by essentially placing both devices on the same switch. I was hoping to use the "Current bitrate" as a test indicator of throughput but it occurred to me that I might be making the wrong assumption of what it's tracking.
hammmy

Postby Topguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:39 pm

hammmy wrote:I was hoping to use the "Current bitrate" as a test indicator of throughput but it occurred to me that I might be making the wrong assumption of what it's tracking.

I believe your assumptions are correct, the Current bitrate shows aprox. the amount of data being sent to the PS3 per second. It really shouldnt deviate too much from the value you get if you press [SELECT] while playing a movie on the PS3 and add together the Audio and Video bitrates reported there.
Topguy

Postby hammmy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:24 am

Thanks, Topguy, that's what I decided was the case yesterday as well. I was confused because I was seeing cases where I was transcoding and copying MKV files to the PS3 and the bitrate would average 14Mbps on one and 31Mbps on another (on the "Current bitrate") and that didn't make a lot of sense to me. What I found was that a particular file would not transcode but would strictly copy the MKV itself instead, despite my having selected the Copy option on the PS3 from the #TRANSCODE# folder for that particular file. The upshot of that was generally two hours wasted twice before I guessed what was happening. I ended up transcoding the file with AVS4YOU and streaming the resulting file, which worked out.
hammmy

Return to General Help and Support