No Media files found (client Windows Media Player 12)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general

No Media files found (client Windows Media Player 12)

Postby scur » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:12 pm

When connecting to PME with a Windows Media Player 12 client, WMP 12 displays "No files have been found on this remote library"

I can access the (virtual) video-directories from my XBMC installation on the same machine, without issues. Also I find it supsicious, that the default WMP.conf starts with

Code: Select all
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Windows Media Player
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=WMP
RendererIcon=wmp.png
UserAgentSearch=Windows-Media-Player-DMS|Microsoft-Windows

Video=false
Audio=false
Image=false

what's up there?

cheers scur
scur

Re: No Media files found (client Windows Media Player 12)

Postby meskibob » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:14 pm

Despite the conf file, WMP isn't really supported as a renderer. The suggestion is to use xbmc, which you already are.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum.
meskibob

Postby scur » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Hey, thanks for the answer...

I know, it's not being benevolently embraced, but WMP 12 would be the just-too-easy-to-be-true-solution for my flatmates, who don't want to install yet another app from me. So seriously, what can I do to make WMP 12 work?

Cheers, scur
scur

Postby meskibob » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:33 pm

AFAIK WMP has never successfully been used as a renderer with PMS (not sure about other media servers). Hence the conf with all media set to false and the suggestion to use XBMC.
If you're concerned about ease of use and not installing additional programs, it'd probably be easier to just share the files directly across the network and map the drive for them. Then they can go play files with WMP just like they do with any other media on their PC (you could use symbolic links to make it even easier).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum.
meskibob

Postby scur » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:40 pm

Sure, I will share my files on the network, but I was hoping to have a simple solution for when we connect home via VPN (reencoding is needed then to limit the bandwidth to ~4MB/s). I will most likely put the XBMC installer on a share and off we go.

Too bad, I wonder what it would take to make this work... What does WMP 12 do different?

Well thanks.

Cheers, scur
scur

Postby meskibob » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:38 pm

If you are doing VPN maybe just have them them run a script to map the drives after they connect to the VPN? As for WMP not working as a DLNA client maybe the MS forums can help.

Edit: sorry, missed the bandwidth limitation need. CIFS won't help with that obviously.
meskibob

Postby scur » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:27 am

To be honest, if you guys didn't come up with a moderately simple way to integrate WMP 12 support, the reason probably is that WMP 12 is badly broken, so I don't want to mess with it anyway. (In fact, I myself have never used it before) I am happy with XBMC now.

Looking into the WMP-thing any further is probably not worth the effort, unless Microsoft releases a decent DLNA client, which the mighty someday... or not.

Cheers, scur
scur

Return to General Help and Support