"live" TV? Hulu?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

"live" TV? Hulu?

Postby TheDrkLion » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:15 pm

Ok, I'm the new guy in the crowd so pardon me for asking a stupid question but when watching TV shows, I do not download the contend but rather visit ovguide.com or Hulu and simply stream the content. Recently, PS3 has allowed me to do it nativity due to firmware upgrades - with some admitted hinkiness.
I was wondering if there was a way to stream something like Hulu at 720i to my 42' sharp Aquos?
Or perhaps use a app such as Joost to do the same thing?
- Internet TV / Web Radio support with MPlayer/VLC
are listed as supported by this apps - have not used either app yet but intend to as soon as i get home.

Furthermore, I would love for someone to tell me how to get the web radio to work? I assume MPlayer/VLC would be the answer?
and setting 'em up with a upnp/DNLA servers should be on their respective sites.
Any pointers are much appreciated.
Thanks.

P.S.
TheDrkLion

Re: "live" TV? Hulu?

Postby Jonelli » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:07 am

I want to DITTO what that guy just said. I want the PS3 to be my media-everything box. Its sooooo close, but just a little off on some of these things.. (browser sux, can't watch streaming video online very well, etc...)

I've tested out PlayOn, but they can't get NetFlix working for more than half the PS3 users, and they want to charge now for beta software that doesn't work yet... sorry...

I still think the solution right now is the put Linux on the PS3 since you can do alot more online stuff. But, I'd rather use a media server to stream downloaded content, movies, and internet tv channels to my 47" tv.

So, like what the guy previously said... PMS with internet video content??? Netflix/Silverlight too?
Jonelli

Postby idontcare007 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:03 am

yes that would be great... please make this your top priority devs, as this would make the ps3 media server the ultimate. god speed
idontcare007

Postby quepaso » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:36 am

I wish PMS would do netflix. I am about to pay 30 bucks for PlayOn, id rather pay that to shagrath if he got netflix working on PMS.
quepaso

Postby j2048b » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:01 pm

quepaso wrote:I wish PMS would do netflix. I am about to pay 30 bucks for PlayOn, id rather pay that to shagrath if he got netflix working on PMS.

irecently purchased
playOn as well, and i like it, netflix was supposed to release a "special" disc that was to be used in the xbox and ps3 for streaming, but i dont believe that ever occurred!!
j2048b

Postby gate1975mlm » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:41 pm

PlayOn and PS3 Media Server work great side by side :)
gate1975mlm

Postby chemosh6969 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:33 am

j2048b wrote:
quepaso wrote:I wish PMS would do netflix. I am about to pay 30 bucks for PlayOn, id rather pay that to shagrath if he got netflix working on PMS.

irecently purchased
playOn as well, and i like it, netflix was supposed to release a "special" disc that was to be used in the xbox and ps3 for streaming, but i dont believe that ever occurred!!

That special disc is something that isn't true.

Sony is looking to partner with Blockbuster.
chemosh6969

Postby quepaso » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Installed PlayOn today. Literally clicked install, then typed in my netflix username/password, and that was it. Seconds later, all the netflix movies were on the PS3, and works perfectly along side PMS.
quepaso

Return to General Help and Support