Guide to auto-start PMS when you boot the PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Guide to auto-start PMS when you boot the PS3

Postby Klaas47 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:46 pm

This is for people who have their PC on before they turn on their PS3.

The install as windows service option wasn't working for me. The PMS icon would appear on the PS3 if my PS3 was on BEFORE I turn my PC on. However, when my PC is already on and I switch on the PS3, it didn't find PMS automatically. I manually had to restart PMS. So, I figured out a way to have windows automatically start PMS whenever I switch on the PS3. This is working on a wired connection with Vista 64bit using internet connection sharing. I can't vouch for any other combination, but here is how to do it (use at own risk, if your computer blows up because of this, it's not my fault :) ):

1. Goto c:\ in My Computer and create a new batch file (just create a text-file and rename it to have the extension .bat). Call it runpms.bat.
2. Edit the batch file and paste below code in it (thanks to Jagged!):

@echo off
tasklist | find "javaw.exe" > nul
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto Process_NotFound
:Process_Found
goto END

:Process_NotFound
cd "%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\ps3 media server"
PMS.exe
:END

IMPORTANT NOTE: you may need to edit the directories if your PMS is not installed in c:\program files (x86)\ps3 media server. Find your PMS.exe and edit the code accordingly.

3. With the PS3 off, go to start and type in 'event viewer' (no quotes). Press enter. It will run the Event Viewer.
4. Now switch on the PS3. In the Event Viewer go to windows log, system and refresh the list. You should see 2 Tcpip events that occur whenever you switch your PS3 on or off. Double check this by switching the PS3 off and refreshing the list again.
5. Right click on the Tcpip event and choose 'attach task to this event'. Give the event a name and click next twice. Select 'start a program'. Click next. Browse to your 'runpms.bat' file and select it.
6. Turn off your PC and your PS3. Now boot your PC. When it's fully booted, switch on your PS3 and it should automatically run PMS and show up on the XMB. Note: it will also run PMS if you turn off your PS3 :) That shouldn't be a problem. It will basically remain on whenever you switch your PS3 on or off. The main thing is, you don't need to be running to your PC anymore to get PMS on your XMB.
Last edited by Klaas47 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Klaas47

Re: Guide to auto-start PMS when you boot the PS3

Postby Jagged » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Klaas47 wrote:This is for people who have their PC on before they turn on their PS3.

The install as windows service option wasn't working for me. The PMS icon would appear on the PS3 if my PS3 was on BEFORE I turn my PC on. However, when my PC is already on and I switch on the PS3, it didn't find PMS automatically. I manually had to restart PMS. So, I figured out a way to have windows automatically start PMS whenever I switch on the PS3. This is working on a wired connection with Vista 64bit. I can't vouch for any other combination, but here is how to do it:

Sounds like an issue w/ multicast on your network. If you fixed the actual cause of the problem, this wouldn't happen (likely caused by your firewall). I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the TCP/IP event's you are seeing is due to you using internet connection sharing from your PC (thus, it has to assign an ip address to your PS3 when it turns on). Otherwise, I'm unsure what tcp/ip event would show in the event log.

It would also seem that you are using Vista. As far as I know, you cant attach processes to events in XP or 2003.

Also, you can do the exact same thing with the built in tools included in windows

Code: Select all
@echo off
tasklist | find "javaw.exe" > nul
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto Process_NotFound
:Process_Found
goto END

:Process_NotFound
cd "%PROGRAMFILES%\ps3 media server"
PMS.exe
:END

(use %PROGRAMFILES(x86)% on x64 machines). Again, I'd suggest fixing the real problem (multicast).
Jagged

Postby Klaas47 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Thank you for that reply. Couldn't find how to do it with build-in tools. This makes the PV program obsolete.

You are right on the money. I indeed am using Vista 64 bit with internet connection sharing. This is because I only have 1 gbit connection on my motherboard, which I am using for my PS3.
I am not using a firewall however. I have it switched off. I'm also not sure what multicasting is. If you can point me into a direction how to fix this, that would be great.
Klaas47

Postby Jagged » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:10 pm

Klaas47 wrote:Thank you for that reply. Couldn't find how to do it with build-in tools. This makes the PV program obsolete.

You are right on the money. I indeed am using Vista 64 bit with internet connection sharing. This is because I only have 1 gbit connection on my motherboard, which I am using for my PS3.
I am not using a firewall however. I have it switched off. I'm also not sure what multicasting is. If you can point me into a direction how to fix this, that would be great.

Within PMS you might want to force it to use the gigabit nic, which may help (though, it should be auto-selecting that one anyways).

Also, I believe with Internet Connection Sharing, the firewall service is still running (even if you have the firewall settings disabled). This may be causing the problem. I posted a topic that might help, even with the firewall disabled http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1244.

I also found this topic: http://dzvlad.blogspot.com/2008/03/routing-multicast-traffic-in-vista.html dealing with Vista multicast on multi-homed systems (which is basically what your Vista desktop is, one network connected to the Internet, one to the local network).

Basically, it sounds like you want to make sure the local network has a lower metric than the Internet for multicast.

Something like this should work:
Code: Select all
C:\>route -p add 224.0.0.0 mask 240.0.0.0 192.168.2.100 metric 1

(Replacing 192.168.2.100 with the ip address assigned to the gigabit NIC.)
Jagged

Postby Ivelliosy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi, when I try to run the .bat file, although I'm administrator, it said wrong password or username in a window, and suddenly closed. What should I do ?
Ivelliosy

Postby zomgheals » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:49 am

how would i do this on XP?
zomgheals

Return to General Help and Support