5.1 DTS -> 5.1 Dolby Digital

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

5.1 DTS -> 5.1 Dolby Digital

Postby ChosenGSR » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:33 am

I have searched and read and searched and I still don't understand what the "normal" behavior of the media server is. I am running the latest 1.4 version. My PS3 setup to audio->hdmi->automatic and BD/DVD is set to linear PCM as I have the old "fat" ps3. I have an Onkyo receiver capable of DTS/DD up to 7.1. Every time I stream a DTS mkv the PS3 displays dolby digital 5.1. I have no issue with that, I just want to make sure that this is in fact a conversion that is happening from DTS 5.1 to DD 5.1. I am using default ps3 media server settings, I haven't tinkered with any of the other available audio related checkboxes.

I guess my question is whether in fact the media server is doing the above described conversion as well as should I use any of the non-default settings available in the media server to improve upon my setup?

Thank you. I apologize as I'm sure one way or another this has been covered many times, I just couldn't quite grasp it from searching.
ChosenGSR

Re: 5.1 DTS -> 5.1 Dolby Digital

Postby Val Killmore » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:38 am

If you are using the default settings, then DTS is being re-encoded to Dolby Digital. This is why you are seeing the Dolby Digital lite on your receiver.

Try enabling "Keep DTS in stream" so PMS wraps it in 2.0 Linear PCM, which your receiver should decode as 5.1 DTS. It simply passes the decoding job off to your receiver, rather than the PS3. Onscreen (triangle button/info icon), you should see :

Linear PCM -> 2 Ch. 48 kHz 1.5 Mbps

rather than:

Dolby Digital -> 5.1 Ch. 48 kHz 640Kbps

It works awesome. In fact, when I download videos, I specifically look for DTS versions now if I can find them. Plus, you can bypass certain restrictions using the passthru options on the new official release, and the latest Subjunk release.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby ChosenGSR » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks for your input. Actually the default behavior is that the PS3 shows that Dolby Digital 5.1 is being used (select button on the controller), but the receiver shows Multichannel Linear PCM. I tried using "Keep DTS in stream" and in fact my receiver started showing DTS NEO 6. What I'm confused about is the NEO 6 part, I thought I read somewhere that NEO 6 is something that simulate 6 channels from 2. Considering that the original MKV contains 5.1 DTS, am I truly listening to the original 6 channels and NEO 6 lights up on the receiver simply because they were packaged in a 2 channel PCM, or am I listening to "matrixed" (whatever that means) 6 channels that are being created from a 2 channel source.

Another thing you refereed to a link regarding bypassing certain restrictions. Looking at that post it seems they are talking about "Encoded audio (AC3 and DTS) passthrough" setting which is different than the one you suggested using "Keep DTS in stream".

This is so confusing.
ChosenGSR

Postby ExSport » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:01 pm

DTS NEO?
DTS NEO:6 modes apply conventional 2-channel signals to the high-precision digital matrix decorder and achieves 6.1-channel surround playback. High-precision input signal detection and matrix processing enable a full band reproduction for all 6.1 channels.

DTS Neo:6 takes 2-channel (stereo) audio and completely transforms it into up to six full-bandwidth matrix channels of surround sound. Your 6.1- or 5.1-channel system will produce six and five separate channels, respectively, to match your speaker layout. DTS Neo:6 can also generate a center surround channel from 5.1 material. The DTS Neo:6 capability is featured in all DTS-ES-equipped receivers.

Your receiver displays NEO because original stream is LPCM2.0 but which includes multichannel separate streams. Receiver see them encapsulated in 2.0 stereo channels and produce them like original 5.1 DTS audio.
For this puropse it is used DTS NEO decoder because it takes stereo stream which is in fact DTS.
So ignore any text displayed on receiver and feel free with blue led signaling DTS ;)
If you will set no filters on receiver and pass audio without any equalizers and simulating programs, you will see it still plays as DTS so you are sure it is not upsampled or simulated as DTS.
It is true DTS 8-)

About the frustration...Why? There is no frustration.
Keep using "keep DTS in stream" and if you have PS3 and problems with some copyright restrictions, then use other feature named "passthrough blablabla"
ExSport

Postby Val Killmore » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:28 pm

It can be confusing, and I would have wondered what the NEO was about as well. :?
My receiver doesn't have a blue light, or distinguish which DTS decoder NEO or otherwise is being used.
I simply see the Dolby Digital *white" light on the left of the display, and the "white" DTS symbol pops up on the right of the display depending on what is sent.

As far as the "Encoded Audio" option, if you enable it, it should override the "Keep DTS in stream" option.

Put it this way. "Keep DTS in stream" does just what it says..............keeps the DTS in bitstream, wrapped in Linear 2.0

The "Encoded Audio" option, now called "Bypass Cinavia Protection" in the latest SubJunk releases does BOTH Dolby Digital (AC3) and DTS "in stream" and should override the "Keep DTS in stream" option as it's redundant.

Now I only have to enable "Bypass Cinavia Protection" , and both AC3 and DTS are sent to my amp as Linear 2.0
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby ChosenGSR » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks for the info. Can someone explain on a very high level how DTS (or anything else?) can be "wrapped" in 2 channel pcm? Again I don't really understand much of anything but my assumption was that each channel represents a speaker, so 2 channel is left and right speaker, etc. How does the receiver scan those 2 channels and realize that it's actually 5.1 (6 channels) inside and separate the sound into those 6 distinct channels?
ChosenGSR

Postby meskibob » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Here is the initial discovery thread - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=603
Basically the PS3 doesn't look past the track header and bitrate to actually check the number of channels or any other details in the audio track. It assumes the fake 2ch LPCM stream is good, applies no processing, and passes it to the receiver. The receiver actually looks at the entire track and determines that it is, in fact, a DTS (or AC3) audio track and not 2ch LPCM.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ExSport » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Yes, same technique was used for DTS-CD where DTS was encapsulated in stereo "WAV" (PCM2.0)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.1_Music_Disc
ExSport

Postby KillerSneak » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:46 am

Just want to say thanks.

I'm using PS3 media server since day one and never really bothered with the options that much. Today it's the first time I can actually look at a movie in "DTS ES MATRIX" on my "YAMAHA RX-V663" thanks for this topic.

Ill be watching some older movies today to see how the sound is now. (can't wait to "re-"watch Transformers: Dark of the Moon)

regards.
KillerSneak

Postby myfriend » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Exactly same sit. here, just wanted to say thanks for all the info, because it actually still helps to retro users like me!

Cheers!

P.S.
Sorry for posting in such old topic, but I needed to point it as very helpful!
myfriend

Return to General Help and Support