Two questions - latest version.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Two questions - latest version.

Postby snowsurfer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:54 pm

First of all thanks again for a great update. All my DTS encoded files are now properly streamed as DTS to my receiver, and the program works like a charm.

I have these two little problems:

I am on Vista Ultimate 64bit. Every time I run PMS since the last update the system asks me to reinstall JRE, although it is already installed. I have searched on the forums, downloaded another PMS.exe from some other similar thread, and I am using that now, but this still happens. Any suggestions?

On the other hand, when streaming a 1080p, DTS encoded *.mkv, I sometimes have some glitches in the sound. Looking at the display option on the XMB I see that this happens when the bitrate jumps from the usual 60ish Mbit max for video, to a strange sounding 200-300Mbit. The file itself is okay since it is not glitched when watching it in GOM Player. I am on 100Mbit Ethernet right now, would a move up to Gigabit fix this? This would be a matter of slotting in another Gigabit switch downstairs, I already have one upstairs, so that wouldn't even be too expensive. Also, is it normal that the maximum throughput for my network in PMS is usually up as 75-78 Mbit, but after these glitches happen, PMS reports it at 140-150Mbit - which is impossible.

Thanks!
snowsurfer

Re: Two questions - latest version.

Postby snowsurfer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:35 pm

Sorry for the bump but....anyone? :)

Thanks!
snowsurfer

Postby meskibob » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:14 pm

snowsurfer wrote:I am on Vista Ultimate 64bit. Every time I run PMS since the last update the system asks me to reinstall JRE, although it is already installed. I have searched on the forums, downloaded another PMS.exe from some other similar thread, and I am using that now, but this still happens. Any suggestions?
Was it this thread? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1271
In either case, please continue the discussion of this issue on that thread and not this one.
snowsurfer wrote:On the other hand, when streaming a 1080p, DTS encoded *.mkv, I sometimes have some glitches in the sound. Looking at the display option on the XMB I see that this happens when the bitrate jumps from the usual 60ish Mbit max for video, to a strange sounding 200-300Mbit. The file itself is okay since it is not glitched when watching it in GOM Player. I am on 100Mbit Ethernet right now, would a move up to Gigabit fix this? This would be a matter of slotting in another Gigabit switch downstairs, I already have one upstairs, so that wouldn't even be too expensive. Also, is it normal that the maximum throughput for my network in PMS is usually up as 75-78 Mbit, but after these glitches happen, PMS reports it at 140-150Mbit - which is impossible.
1080p bitrates can get that high (say a VC-1 version of the Planet Earth "flock of cranes" scene), so Gigabit probably is your best bet. However, bitrates getting that high (when the PS3 is reporting them) can also be a sign that your PC isn't able to keep up with the transcode...
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby snowsurfer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks I'll keep the comments in the other thread.

As for the other issue, while transcoding the proc usage doesn't go all the way up - I'm on a Q6600 at 3.2 GHz, 4Gb ddr1066 with tight timings, Vista Ult 64bit on a velociraptor and the files on a WD Black Edition, all fresh, kept up to date, clean....I know it's not bleeding edge any more but it should be able to rt transcode this and much more, right? :S

Thanks again.
snowsurfer

Postby meskibob » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:57 pm

snowsurfer wrote:As for the other issue, while transcoding the proc usage doesn't go all the way up - I'm on a Q6600 at 3.2 GHz, 4Gb ddr1066 with tight timings, Vista Ult 64bit on a velociraptor and the files on a WD Black Edition, all fresh, kept up to date, clean....I know it's not bleeding edge any more but it should be able to rt transcode this and much more, right? :S
Depends on the file. A H.264/DTS .mkv that just needs an audio remux (using TSmuxer) will work just fine. A full video transcode (using MEncoder) could potentially be too much for your system, like in the example I listed in my first response. The way to tell will be to look at your CPU usage and the PMS transcode buffer (on the Status tab of the PMS GUI) when the file is stuttering.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby snowsurfer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:45 pm

Been testing this afternoon logged in to my server PC from my laptop in the living room, following on the parameters you suggested. The cores peak out at around 40% usage, are mostly between 25 - 30%, the transcode buffer blue bar moves no more than a couple %, seems almost static at around 95% full. Seems to happen when the bitrate shoots up past 100Mbit (120ish top on this video I am testing with). I think it can be safe to assume it is definitely the network then.
snowsurfer

Return to General Help and Support