New to using PMS and a question about isos

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

New to using PMS and a question about isos

Postby RevZempoe » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:09 pm

I've got some files in iso format and it will gladly open those. however in my videos it breaks it down into multiple titles (vob files). Is there a way to select them all and have them play consecutively?
RevZempoe

Re: New to using PMS and a question about isos

Postby Jagged » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:10 pm

RevZempoe wrote:I've got some files in iso format and it will gladly open those. however in my videos it breaks it down into multiple titles (vob files). Is there a way to select them all and have them play consecutively?

If you only want to play the movie, you should find the one with the longest time, as it's likely the movie. The others are usually just extras, the menu (unusable over uPNP), trailers, fbi clips, etc.
Jagged

Postby RevZempoe » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:14 pm

In this case, I have multiple titles that are part of a movie. Is there a way to play them consecutively? If not, what is the work around? do I need to take the vob files and combine them? is PMS capable of doing this?
RevZempoe

Postby Jagged » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:27 pm

RevZempoe wrote:In this case, I have multiple titles that are part of a movie. Is there a way to play them consecutively? If not, what is the work around? do I need to take the vob files and combine them? is PMS capable of doing this?

Interesting. While it may be possible to do this, I don't think there is currently support in PMS for doing so. However, if I recall, there is a feature added recently to the PS3 to play all items in a folder. Try the setting I've quoted below (added in firmware 2.50). I'm not sure if it'll work for uPNP.

http://www.us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/PS3_250_update.html wrote:Settings
Sequential Playback

[Sequential Playback] has been added as an option under Settings (Settings) > Video Settings (Video Settings).

You can now set the PS3™ system to sequentially play multiple video files that are saved on the hard disk or storage media.
Off Videos are not played sequentially.
On Videos are played sequentially.
Hint

* This feature is not available for some video content types, such as content with parental control restrictions or rental content with a restricted playback period. The PS3™ system will skip these content types to play the next video in the sequence.
Jagged

Postby panard » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:39 pm

In the PS3 setting menu you can choose to "play consecutive files" or something like that. If that doesn't work maybe you should rip the files not as an iso but as one large vob using DVD Shrink. Mine play perfectly. You can also rip the files with no compression this way. In DVD Shrink choose preferences and select dvd 9. In output files uncheck split vob's into 1 gig chunks. Also choose which language you want and uncheck all others under compression settings, otherwise you may get the wrong language.
Jay
panard

Postby RevZempoe » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:45 pm

Thank you for your responses. I will try the video settings and if that doesn't work I will have to go for the latter :)
RevZempoe

Postby RevZempoe » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:57 pm

it appears the simple solution of sequential playback works. I knew it couldn't be that difficult ;). Now its just extract file to iso, then play from title 1 excellent.
RevZempoe

Postby meskibob » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:41 pm

RevZempoe wrote:..play from title 1 excellent.

Not always the case.... That's why it was mentioned by Jagged to generally choose the file with the longest time.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby RevZempoe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:29 am

meskibob wrote:
RevZempoe wrote:..play from title 1 excellent.

Not always the case.... That's why it was mentioned by Jagged to generally choose the file with the longest time.

yeah, in which case I will just use dvdshrink to create 1 long vob with everything in order :)
RevZempoe

Return to General Help and Support