PS3 playback randomly freezes

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS3 playback randomly freezes

Postby Dillon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:59 am

Hello, I am streaming standard definition videos in .avi container, usually mp4 or xvid video. Almost every time I play a file, I will get random stops in the video, at first the audio stops while the video keeps going, then the video and audio both stop, then the audio from the part where the video was before plays while the video stands still, and finally the video picks up again and its all good, until the next freeze, which can be anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour later. Sometimes, it will give up and exit the video and say "The video cannot be played", and then I have to reopen it and find my spot. I figured out that by pausing it when I first lose audio, then using the frame back button, and clicking play, I avoid the whole waiting process of about a minute and it fixes right away. The problem is I shouldn't have this problem to begin with!
My computer and network should be more than adequate for this
PC specs:
Microsoft Windows 7 (x64)
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Quad
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon 5870 1GB Video Card
2TB Hard Drive

Network:
Gigabit ethernet on the computer right into a Dlink DIR-655 router, which has gigabit ports as well. So that is a gigabit connection right to the PS3, presuming the PS3 has gigabit.

The only thing showing up in the trace log is
"[NEW I/O server worker #1-3] TRACE 01:51:53.889 Media renderer was not recognized. HTTP User agent:Microsoft-Windows/6.1 UPnP/1.0 Windows-Media-Player-DMS/12.0.7601.17514 DLNADOC/1.50"
Then another line saying the same thing except user agent just has the WMP part in it. This is oer and over again in intervals of a couple of minutes (not corresponding with freezes)

PS3 Media Server v1.20.412

Thank you for any help
Dillon

Re: PS3 playback randomly freezes

Postby Val Killmore » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:45 am

The only thing showing up in the trace log is
"[NEW I/O server worker #1-3] TRACE 01:51:53.889 Media renderer was not recognized. HTTP User agent:Microsoft-Windows/6.1 UPnP/1.0 Windows-Media-Player-DMS/12.0.7601.17514 DLNADOC/1.50"
Then another line saying the same thing except user agent just has the WMP part in it. This is oer and over again in intervals of a couple of minutes (not corresponding with freezes)

Those are just PMS seeing other media renderers in your network that it does not recognize as compliant.
Those entries should have nothing to do with freezing. When my server has been on for days on end, the Traces tab has literally hundreds of those entries, and I have no freezing issues.

Newer versions of PMS also recognize WMP as a renderer now, as well have many newly added .conf files for various, now compliant devices.

The version you are using is quite old, and I would suggest trying the latest beta or the latest SubJunk release.

Official beta............ viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11771

SubJunk beta.......... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8883
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby Val Killmore » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:51 am

I would suggest keeping Java updated as well.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby Dillon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:14 am

Hey, sorry for the late reply, but I upgraded my PMS and i continued to have the problem. I have now just upgraded to the latest beta (1.4.0) and will get back if I still see this problem, but right now I'm dealing with an insane amount of other problems, but I'll make another thread for that.
Dillon

Postby JQ Public » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Based on everything I've read about this problem, it boils down to this: The PS3 has no buffering. So, anything that happens on your network will slow it down enough so that it will freeze.

My solution: eliminate as much network as you can. This is working well for me.

My current network looks like this: I have a PC (an old crappy laptop currently) that runs the media server and I have it sitting next to the PS3. I have them both plugged into a switch. This switch connects to my home network via a powerline adapter, though you could use a wired connection (the best of course) or a wireless ethernet bridge. My massive hard drives are plugged into the USB ports of the PC next to the PS3. So, for streaming video and music, the PS3 needs go no further than through the switch to get to the PC running the media server and has the hard drives with the content. It doesn't matter that there is a slow or less than reliable connection between the switch and the home network because I'm just transferring files to/from the massive hard drives. That's all background activity. My real goal is to have 100% reliability when I'm doing playback! So, I deal with the fact that these drives have slow access from the rest of the network. Drives are cheap so I have them dedicated to media content.
JQ Public

Postby shiftydog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:30 pm

I know this thread's a bit old, but need to throw in my two cents. The issue is definitely network related, but not with bandwidth or buffering. I have exactly the same issue, exactly the same symptoms.

What you'll see when a freeze happens is that first your audio bitrate will drop to zero, but the video will continue. The video then gets too far out and stops, then the audio picks back up, rejoins the video position and the whole thing sync's back up. This only seems to happen with particular file formats (i.e. avi, improperly packaged mp4). The TSMUXER fix (used by PMS) is a great workaround, and it creates a file that the PS3 is most comfortable with. Searching, FF and RW are badly impacted tho.

Oddly enough, those videos that freeze like this over media server play fine off of disk or from hd. So the issue still seems isolated to network.

I keep hearing how it's a bandwidth issue. It's not. I can play AVCHD video (15000 mb/s video, 5.1 surround audio) over wireless media server perfectly, but a 950 mb/s stereo xvid video will freeze. Ever notice how mp3 audio files will freeze in a similar way? That's not bandwidth!

Steps to take: 1) force the PS3 to decode audio at 44,100 k (as opposed to 48000). You'll notice your mp3's will play better, and see a big improvement in your avi (including xvid) files. 2) MP4 video is actually the best way to go. But don't go creating a video using the PS3 as the target device - it most likely won't work, or if it does play, it'll stutter like mad. Do a generic default mp4 target with aac audio. You'll get an MP4 that will play flawlessly, with search, FF and RW still working, and if you keep the audio to stereo, it'll play great on Xbox as well.

This whole thing is a flaw in the PS3, not with PMS. And it's been going on long enough. Sadly, it was more important for Sony to remove the OtherOS feature (the reason I bought PS3 instead of Xbox in the first place) than to fix this huge defect. And they're still silent.
shiftydog

Return to General Help and Support