noob with a few small tweaking questions.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

noob with a few small tweaking questions.

Postby -m- » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:47 pm

dell studio 1558
windows 7 home premium 64 bit svc pack 1
intel core i3 4g ram

psm version 1.30.1

i'm sure these are dumb questions, and i'm also sure they've been answered already, so please forgive me. i've tried the tutorials pertaining to my problems and i get lost, so bare with me and please try to explain in the simplest terms possible.

i've downloaded and installed the software, codecs etc. i seem to be able to read and play everything in my library, but i under the transcoding section of psm it's still showing that i'm missing avisynth/ffmpeg. i've tried the tutorial on how to install this with windows 7 and it doesn't seem to work. user error i'm sure. so, first question is, how do i get avisynth/ffmpeg installed on this thing?

second question: i want to have a wired connection to my ps3. i'm wirelessly connected to my network though and connecting to my router via cable isn't possible. from my understanding i will be able to stream my media faster by doing this. so, how do i connect to my ps3 via ethernet cable and maintain my wireless connection to the internet?

third question: some of my files plays with subs on when i don't need them and some play when i do. how do i fix this?
-m-

Re: noob with a few small tweaking questions.

Postby -m- » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:51 am

wow, figured i'd get some help here of all places. :|
-m-

Postby dingdong » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi,

I can try to help some;

1st quest: This is normal. I myself have the same - and dont need avisynth

2nd: well connect a ethernetcable from the modem to the ps3. And from the modem to pc/laptop you can connect by ethernet or wifi. It the modem supports wifi..

3rd: subtitles can be quite messy under PS3MS. but normally you can find the settings for subtitles under "Mencoder". I THINK what you are referring to are inbedded subtitles which can be turned off I think... I myself most often use Srt subs..
dingdong

Postby -m- » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:01 pm

i've connected the enet cable (cat6 crossover), and i can get the two devices to see each other but i can't get full connectivity. i think it's a problem with how i assign the ip/subnet blah blah. i'm using windows 7 home premium and all of the tutorials i've read are for either a different version of 7 or xp, neither of which help me because my internet connection center looks completely different. i'm extremely frustrated and have been trying to get this sorted for days now and can't seem to find anyone who can help me. so, if you're out there, please help.
-m-

Postby dingdong » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:31 pm

I don't understand what you mean by full connectivity but I think you need to search elsewhere for an answer regarding PS3 vs PC connection. ;)

But if you have connection for PC and PS3 through the same modem then it should work - do you see the PS3MS icon in pS3?
dingdong

Postby -m- » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:57 pm

no, i think i'm in the right place actually.

i have two network cards on my laptop; one for wifi and another one for lan/wired connection. i'm connected via wifi to the internet. i have a cat6 crossover cable running from my ps3 into my lan/wired connection nic card.

here's what i see when i pull up my network and sharing center. i've renamed the lan/wired connection "ps3" for obvious reasons.

the ps3 is on, but is set to connect via wifi at the moment, which is why the lan/wired connection is showing as "network cable unplugged". in wifi mode, ps3mediaserver works fine with viewing cbr/cbz files and some video, but anything hd gets extremely laggy, hence the need for a faster, wired connection. moreover, as you can see, my wifi card is set to "shared".

now, i'm going to set up my ps3 for a wired connection. here's what i'm inputting for my settings:

custom/wired connection/manual settings

speed and duplex setting: auto connect
ip address setting: manual

ip address: 192.168.1.80 (i did this per another tutorial i read)
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default router: 192.168.1.1
primary dns: 208.67.222.222
secondary dns: 208.67.222.222 (both of these were set per the same tutorial mentioned above)

mtu: automatic
proxy: do not use
upnp: disable

when i test the connection on the ps3, it can find an ip address but cannot go further than that. the internet connection fails. here's what my network and sharing center looks like now:

as you can see, the lan/wired connection is "identifying". it eventually switches to "unidentified network". nevertheless, i cannot view files from my ps3 on my laptop under these settings.

here is what my lan/wired connection is set to on my laptop.

tcp/ip4 settings are both set to automatically detect ip and dns. also, i think it's important to note that the ip address of my laptop is 192.168.1.3. i'm assuming that's my wifi cards ip address (i'm looking at this number by viewing the devices connected to my wifi router).

i think this is just a matter of getting my ip and dns configured in both my console and laptop's nic card configured properly. i just don't know how to do it. SOMEONE PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME. i don't know anything about networking and am just an average pc user. all i want to do is have a fast connection to my laptop from my console so i can view and play media off of it using ps3mediaserver. that's all i'm asking for. please help me.
-m-

Postby -m- » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:03 pm

oh, and one more thing i forgot to specify; i cannot under any circumstances connect via ethernet cable to my router. it's downstairs on the other side of my house, approximately 70 or more feet away cable wise. i am unconvinced that this is impossible to set up. i cannot possibly be the only person on the planet who has a wifi connection who wants to directly connect via crossover cable to his gaming console. i am beside myself at how difficult this is. it's unsurprising that windows is difficult to work with (worst product EVER), but the ps3 touts itself as being a slick media server, and i've spent the past 3 days diligently trying to find information on how to set this up to no avail. unacceptable. i'm glad i work from home so i can waste time trying to screw with this.

and to give a little more background information, the ps3 is telling me it's a dns error when i run the connection test. again, SOMEONE HELP ME.
-m-

Postby Val Killmore » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:01 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4086#p18155

This will show you how to set your NIC's/IP addresses for a direct connection.

You have to setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in order for you to be able to have your PS3 access the internet.

All this has been covered before, and is in fact, linked thru the tutorial.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby Mordenn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:41 am

Use 192.168.1.1 as you dns and remove the other dns that you have there, the router will assign them

ip address: 192.168.1.80 (i did this per another tutorial i read)
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default router: 192.168.1.1
primary dns: 192.168.1.1
secondary dns: 0.0.0.0
Mordenn

Postby -m- » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:08 pm

thanks to both of you. i shall try out your recommendations and report my results.
-m-

Next

Return to General Help and Support