Subtitles Problem .MKV

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Subtitles Problem .MKV

Postby Ryu_Chu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:20 am

Ok, I've tried searching through already existing posts but found nothing related to my specific problem so I thought I'd ask. I have a file that's .MKV with imbedded subtitles that show up as "Track 1" on VLC (not English or whatever). The file has Japanese audio and the subtitles are in English if that matters. Anyways, I've set my settings to this:

Language Priority:

JPN,ENG,

Audio/Subtitle:

jpn,eng;*,eng;*,off

And the Subtitle Language Priority is empty. All this is based off another post I read but it didn't help. When I play the file on my PS3, it plays fine but the subtitles don't show at all. I read in another topic to try the TRANSCODE folder, but when I go there and try to click the folder for any of the episodes, nothing happens. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to get the subtitles displayed and working correctly. I was unsure if the fact that the subtitles track is named simply "Track 1" makes it so that the Audio/Subtitle settings don't detect it since it's not ENG or whatever. If it matters too, the audio track is called "Track 1" and it's also the only audio track just like the "Track 1" subtitles are the only subtitles that show up. Thanks in advance for any and all help and in the meantime I'll continue to look through all the topics on subtitles to see if I can find my answer and delete this topic. Thanks!
Ryu_Chu

Re: Subtitles Problem .MKV

Postby Yojiro » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:19 pm

This is most likely caused by the language selected for the subtitle track, when the subtitle language is set to Und (Undetermined) the media server will not display the subtitles, I'm not sure if this is always the case or only when you've set language priorities in the software, its very easy to check and solve however,

Download MKVToolnix and load your video in mkvmerge GUI and select the subtitle track, if the language is shown as Und (Undetermined) change it to Eng (English)

Also, on the video track go to extra options and where it says "Compression" set it to "None" to prevent getting Data is Corrupted errors

After that, click on the "Start Muxing" button on the bottom and it will create a new video file (old one will still be there). the newly created video should now show subtitles when playing in Media Server

There are some cases however where the video will still not work but this should be the general problem with subtitles not showing up when playing mkv files, I hope this works for you.

If this did not work, could you PM me and send me a copy of your video file so I can have a look at it?
Yojiro

Re: Subtitles Problem .MKV

Postby Algazero » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:49 am

I'm trying to watch KAA's release of chrno crusade and I tried doing the mkvmerge method that you suggested but it only worked on the first episode. do you have any other suggestions?
Algazero

Return to General Help and Support