Styled subs transcoding to Android.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Styled subs transcoding to Android.

Postby td854 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:58 pm

I have PS3MS set up to work with both my PS3 (Ethernet) and my Android Phone (WiFi/3G+VPN) and everything works great. Videos are appropriately resized and received correctly, however ASS/SSA subs are not styled before the transcoded stream is sent to Android, but they are styled before being transcoded to PS3. Is there anything I can put in the Android.conf that would send the styled subs to the Android stream?

Edit: Also is there any way to set it to keep aspect ratio when resizing, in the conf files? If I set -3 for height for example, it will just use 0, If I use -3 in the resize options of PS3MS it works fine, but then I get resized files on the PS3 also which is undesirable.
td854

Re: Styled subs transcoding to Android.

Postby Zool » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 am

At risk for being a bit off-topic: What software are you using on the android phone ?

Using UpnPlay, I can browse the contents of the PS3 media player, but when I choose a movie to play, first I get to chose the player. Whether I choose the inbuilt or Meridian player, I always get "The video can not be played"

My android device is a HTC Desire Bravo, with Gingerbread (Oxygen 2.03). I've installed Meridian Media Player and UpNPlay, but for some reason or other I cannot get past this.

Please reveal the steps of how you got it to work :)
Zool

Postby rYugen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Hey!

Yea i just wanted to say the same as the guy before me ;D

How did you get it to work with ur Android? (upnplay recognizes my server and the server sees it as android device)

thanks in advance
rYugen

Postby td854 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:25 pm

I use upnplay + vplayer or upnplay + rockplayer lite, both work. It takes quite a while for it to load at first (vplayer will tell you it's loading, rockplayer lite will just sit at a blank black screen until it's loaded) and the first few frames are usually full of artifacts and out of sync but it's not really a big deal to me. Also if say your source video is 1080p it may never load or if it does it will barely be able to play, so I just resize everything down to half my phone's screen resolution. I'm fairly adamant about quality but the difference between half and full resolution on a screen so small is almost unnoticeable. (Mencoder >> Use Video Scaler >> height -3, width 427, this makes both 4:3 and 16:9 source resize appropriately, however it doesn't work that way in the .conf files) I recommend limiting the bandwidth in the Android .conf file to reduce the load on the phone as well but that's up to you.

Not sure if it matters but the phone I'm using is the original Motorola Droid, Stock 2.2.2 rooted @1ghz.

Zool wrote:My android device is a HTC Desire Bravo

Also one other thing to note, since your screen's width is 800px and mine is 854px, you may be able to go as low as height -3, and width 400 on the resize to save some extra bandwidth without noticing much of a difference in video quality. As long as you keep -3 in one of the resize fields, it will resize the video properly without stretching it and making it look bad.
td854

Postby rYugen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Heya - tried it with rockplayer the second you posted ;D

works fine but lags quite hard - are you able to enable resizing in ps3ms for only one device (for example the android devices) ?

Cant get VPlayer because there's only the unlocker in the market ;D

thanks so far!
rYugen

Postby td854 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:11 pm

If it's lagging you most likely need to reduce the bitrate or reduce the size. You can reduce the size and bitrate for just android devices in the Android.conf file, but the problem is if you have mixed source (4:3 and 16:9 for example) then it will not work to resize them both properly as far as I can figure, that will only work in the video scaler but I really have no clue why. You'll need to restart the server completely for it to re-read the .conf file after changing it.

Edit: I should also note that I don't get video at all if I set the bandwidth to unlimited in the Android.conf.
td854

Postby ExSport » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:22 pm

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7930&p=37255&hilit=+adding+black+bars#p48283
Don't know if SubJunk build includes this patch but official one miss this feature for now.
With this patch/version you can define special options on renderer level as deinterlace, resizing etc.
P.S.
Check MPlayer page for right options but I am sure you can define max X or Y axis and MEncoder will automatically count other axis for every Aspect Ratio correctly.
ExSport

Postby td854 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:44 pm

ExSport wrote:http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7930&p=37255&hilit=+adding+black+bars#p48283
Don't know if SubJunk build includes this patch but official one miss this feature for now.
With this patch/version you can define special options on renderer level as deinterlace, resizing etc.
P.S.
Check MPlayer page for right options but I am sure you can define max X or Y axis and MEncoder will automatically count other axis for every Aspect Ratio correctly.

This worked perfectly for the resizing, I just put vf scale in my conf now and it's all set, Thanks! Now if only I could figure out why softsubs aren't retaining their style to Android, yet are in everything else...

Edit: After looking further apparently the softsubs are only getting transcoded on the PS3 and nothing else, no idea why.
td854

Postby rYugen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Hmm - So i put in CustomMencoderOptions=-vf softskip,expand=::::1:16\/9:2

into my Android.conf but i dont see any new options in the mencoder - would you like to tell me what did the trick 4 you ?

thanks

edit: i changed the maxwidth in the android.conf to 480 and height to 320 and the maxbitrate of the vid to 1000 and its still laggy with mkv playback (trying out on Flytouch 2 Android tablet)

Media information in rockplayer lite says: video mpeg4 640*480 @0kbps (shouldnt it say 480*320 ??)
rYugen

Postby td854 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:15 pm

MaxVideoBitrateMbps=1
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
CustomMencoderOptions=-vf scale=480:-3::
TranscodeExtensions=mkv

Try these settings first and increase the bitrate as needed, it's possible the PC running PS3MS isn't fast enough to transcode your video files also.
Make sure Video Scaler is off in PS3MS, and of course quit PS3MS and re-open after you've changed these settings.

Edit: The Flytouch 2 also has a faster CPU than the Droid so it should be able to easily play even that 640x480 video, so it may indeed be your PC that can't handle it, it could also be that you didn't have it set to transcode the MKV so it's sending it raw to the device and it can't handle that.

Let me know if that works.
td854

Next

Return to General Help and Support