PMS windows service - can't access settings

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PMS windows service - can't access settings

Postby jerry_hms » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:27 am

Hi,

I have pms running on my vista sp1 machine as a service. I can't access the settings/parameters.
The service is running and the ps3 can see PMS, however i have no pms icon in the taskbar and can't modify my shared files or any other option.

If i run pms as a program i can change all settings but they are not reflected when running pms as a service. How can I configure my shared drives / encoding options?

thank you
jerry_hms

Re: PMS windows service - can't access settings

Postby Irvysan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:58 am

Have a look here :

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=439&p=2709&hilit=+vista#p2709

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=439&p=2351&hilit=+vista#p2351

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=439&p=2348&hilit=+vista#p2348

Or as suggested Just put ps3 media server shortcut in start\programs\startup folder and PS3 media server will load every time you start the computer.
Irvysan

Postby tjatkinson » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi there, was this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem and I'm not sure if Irvysan's solution was the correct answer? <confused> :? </confused>

#jerry_hms, is the issue that the settings you have configured when running as an application are not consistent with when you run as a service? In my case, the service runs with the default configuraton (Media Library + Transcode + All Physical Disks), even though I have configured the application to use specific disks/folders and not display the Media Library option.. My configuration is on Windows 2003 Server.

Cheers,

T
[PMS 1.10.5] Windows 2003 Server (x64), X3350 QC 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM, gigabit NIC
tjatkinson

Postby meskibob » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:54 pm

Have you restarted the service since you updated the settings in the standalone GUI?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby tjatkinson » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:40 pm

I have just updated PMS to 1.10.5 which seemed to resolve the issue!? or it might just be a conicidence... One thing to note though, one of the folders I had set was a mapped drive. If running the service under the Local System account, it does not have access to mapped drives (by design). To resolve this you can run the service under a different account, ensuring that the drive is mapped using the same credentials. Or just use a UNC path instead ;)

T
[PMS 1.10.5] Windows 2003 Server (x64), X3350 QC 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM, gigabit NIC
tjatkinson

Postby jerry_hms » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:09 pm

meskibob : yes have restarded PMS but nothiung change

I have also updated to PMS 1.10.5 but the problem is not resolved on my side.
This is what i have with the service or the standalone

Standalone
PMS icon in tray: yes visible
Shared folders:
[Music] : C:\my music folder
[Movies] : C:\my movie folder

Service
PMS icon in tray: not visible or accessible
Shared folders:
[C:\] : root of c:\ drive
[D:\] : root of d:\ drive
[E:\] : root of e:\ drive

it is kinda of a bugger that have to log into my machine and run thew standalone, whereas the service just requires windows to be loaded (no need for log-in)

It seems that PMS stores the program options in 2 different locations.
config for standalone is stored under C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\PMS\PMS.conf
I can't find where the service PMS.conf is stored. If i knew where it was, i assume i should be able to copy/paste content from pms.conf into the one for service and have the same shared locations.

by the way , super programme et tres bon boulot. vivement les prochaines versions avec plein de nouvelles fonctionalites
jerry_hms

Postby j2048b » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:49 am

I am also experiencing this problem, nothing in start bar when running as a service,

is this fixed? or what do we do to see the program's icon when it is running a s a service?

thanks
j2048b

Postby j2048b » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:24 am

jerry_hms wrote:
config for standalone is stored under C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\PMS\PMS.conf
I can't find where the service PMS.conf is stored. If i knew where it was, i assume i should be able to copy/paste content from pms.conf into the one for service and have the same shared locations

i found my pms.conf file by using search in windows,

i set the autolaodsrt=true it said false but changed it an now will restart and give everyone an update....................................................................................................................................
j2048b

Postby j2048b » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:36 am

j2048b wrote:
jerry_hms wrote:
I can't find where the service PMS.conf is stored. If i knew where it was, i assume i should be able to copy/paste content from pms.conf into the one for service and have the same shared locations

i set the autolaodsrt=true it said false but changed it an now will restart and give everyone an update....................................................................................................................................

after the restart, it did not start up, but i looked at services.msc and it was changed to manual, so i changed it to automatic, and hit start and it started right up and showed the icon.

after another restart we will see........................................................................................................................................
j2048b

Postby j2048b » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:53 am

j2048b wrote:
j2048b wrote:
jerry_hms wrote:

after the restart, it did not start up, but i looked at services.msc and it was changed to manual, so i changed it to automatic, and hit start and it started right up and showed the icon.

after another restart we will see........................................................................................................................................

it worked well, but my ps3 was on so dont know if that made a difference,

but i think if you change the autoloadsrt =false to autoloadsrt=true, and then go to services.msc and chage ps3 to auot and hit start, then re set computer it should work?
j2048b

Next

Return to General Help and Support