Video transcoding engines not turning off?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Video transcoding engines not turning off?

Postby Terrestrial_Hominid » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:19 pm

When I first stared using Playstation Media Server many months ago, a lot of my DivXs would not play or play incorrectly (from what I can tell it seemed due to them having subtitles, multiple subtitles or multiple audio tracks). These were all files that played perfectly from the PS3's own HDD.

Disabling all of the video transcoding engines in PMS solved the problem, and everything worked perfectly until a week or so ago when I had to reinstall windows from scratch.
I installed the latest version of PMS (1.70.01), and set it up as before, with all of the video transcoding engines disabled except now, disabling them doesn't seem to have any effect. Any videos with subtitles or more than one audio track display with the [MEncoder] suffix when browsing on the PS3, and they either won't play at all or play without audio, without subtitles or with the wrong aspect ratio.

So the question is, why isn't disabling the encoding engines ACTUALLY disabling them now?

I still have an older version of PMS on a different computer, and it's playing everything fine.
Terrestrial_Hominid

Re: Video transcoding engines not turning off?

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Terrestrial_Hominid wrote:So the question is, why isn't disabling the encoding engines ACTUALLY disabling them now?

Good question!
I'll see if I can find out. Thanks for the report.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:11 pm

It turns out that PMS did not verify whether an engine was disabled or not when it determines the engine to use.
I have committed a fix.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby danielt » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:10 pm

Would bumping tsmuxer to the top priority fix this?
danielt

Postby Terrestrial_Hominid » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:25 am

No, I just tried and that did not affect anything.
Terrestrial_Hominid

Postby Terrestrial_Hominid » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:28 am

Can anyone fill me in on what "committing" a fix means? Does that mean the problem should be solved in the next release? Is there any kind of ETA for when that might be?
Terrestrial_Hominid

Postby chocolateboy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:21 am

Terrestrial_Hominid wrote:Does that mean the problem should be solved in the next release?

Yes.

Is there any kind of ETA for when that might be?

No.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby _dash » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Just a quick update to this, have encountered the same problem with 1.70 and 1.72. When the "engines =" field in PMS.conf is empty, on restarting PMS it will re-engage the transcoding engines (in the GUI at least). As such there is currently no way of disabling all the transcoding engines and having the changes stick. This bug did not exist in versions prior to 1.70.

My 'dirty' fix for the moment is just to enable to mplayer webaudio engine, as that seems to ensure the other engines stay disabled on restarting.

Hope that helps someone!
_dash

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:45 pm

_dash wrote:This bug did not exist in versions prior to 1.70.

Thanks. Fixed.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support