Plaback resume where you left off

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Plaback resume where you left off

Postby gastric » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:19 pm

It would be excellent if you could somehow enable the ability to facilitate resume of playback where you last left off. It's probably one of my biggest gripes about networked playback at this point.

* Start playing a 2 hour movie
* Watch 1 hour of it
* Stop and turn off PS3
* Decide to watch the last 1/2
* You have to either FF or use the 1-minute auto-chapter, either way it's tedious

With XBMC it would actually display a dialog giving you 2 choices (Resume playback from 1:00:00 / Play from beginning).
gastric

Re: Plaback resume where you left off

Postby shagrath » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:28 pm

It would be excellent if you could somehow enable the ability to facilitate resume of playback where you last left off. It's probably one of my biggest gripes about networked playback at this point.

yeah well, go write a letter to Sony :)

* You have to either FF or use the 1-minute auto-chapter, either way it's tedious

you can also seek in time, most effective way of doing that
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby gastric » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:32 pm

I don't doubt it's an issue with the PS3, and I do have a list of items to write to SONY about.

But why can't you approach it via the server? I'm assuming the server can have awareness of where in the steam the playback is when stopped. Cache that data, and harness that when the same file is played next time?
gastric

Postby shagrath » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:37 pm

gastric wrote:I don't doubt it's an issue with the PS3, and I do have a list of items to write to SONY about.

But why can't you approach it via the server? I'm assuming the server can have awareness of where in the steam the playback is when stopped. Cache that data, and harness that when the same file is played next time?

good idea but this will not work... ps3 asks for a precise video time range (something like "give me the video starting from 00:00:00) and is (very) picky
about the mpeg timecodes... then if I send a mpeg with timecodes starting from 00:30:00, a black screen is all you'll get....
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby nayr » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:26 am

with other media servers I have used, If I gave it a native format w/no transcoding it would happily resume it from where I left off... so its already there on the ps3 side.
nayr

Postby Pepijn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:02 am

I am pretty sure this feature was in the previous version.
Pepijn

Postby ExSport » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:59 pm

shagrath wrote:good idea but this will not work... ps3 asks for a precise video time range (something like "give me the video starting from 00:00:00) and is (very) picky
about the mpeg timecodes... then if I send a mpeg with timecodes starting from 00:30:00, a black screen is all you'll get....

Did you tried -ss time parameter? It will cut "time" from beginning of video. Don't know how it handles with key frame...
But then it will be problem to play movie from start I suppose. PS3 option "start from beginning" will play it from time defined after parameter -ss so that it is not good solution anyway :)
ExSport

Postby TheHutt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:47 pm

gastric wrote:* You have to either FF or use the 1-minute auto-chapter, either way it's tedious

You are aware that you can increase the auto-chapter intervals to higher values than 1 minute, with the Up/Down buttons?
TheHutt

Postby gastric » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:01 pm

No, I'm not aware of anything. :) I'm a new PS3 user still learning the tricks for the trade on the PS3 side of things.
gastric

Postby Burrito » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:54 pm

To seek in time, press the triangle (access options) while the video is playing, then select "Go to" from the menu. Select the highlightes 00:00:00 time and press enter/select. Now select the hours or minutes to change them with up/down. Sounds complicated but works well enough.
Burrito

Next

Return to Feature Suggestions