Custom server display name in PS3 interface

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Custom server display name in PS3 interface

Postby nashcity » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:16 am

Love the program.

This is a minor request:

It would be great to have the ability to change the display name of the PS3 Media Server as it is seen in the PS3 interface.

Right now, it is currently: PS3 Media Server [Computer Name]

It would be nice to have the option to use your own display name if desired.

Thanks!
nashcity

Re: Custom server display name in PS3 interface

Postby gate1975mlm » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:54 pm

I agree nice idea :)
gate1975mlm

Postby meskibob » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 pm

This has been requested a couple times, and it's either not going to happen or is on the back-burner. I think one of the reasons from shagrath was "we take pride in our work" or something along those lines.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Procyon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:58 am

meskibob wrote:This has been requested a couple times, and it's either not going to happen or is on the back-burner. I think one of the reasons from shagrath was "we take pride in our work" or something along those lines.

I personally agree with shagrath, if he did say that, then he's got a point. You're using a software from someone else who's not yourself. that software has a name, has a team of programmers, etc etc. and btw, the display name on the media server is pretty normal, don't think why you would actually want to customize it to something else. ofc all this is my personal opinion.
Procyon

Postby foging » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Procyon wrote:
meskibob wrote:This has been requested a couple times, and it's either not going to happen or is on the back-burner. I think one of the reasons from shagrath was "we take pride in our work" or something along those lines.

I personally agree with shagrath, if he did say that, then he's got a point. You're using a software from someone else who's not yourself. that software has a name, has a team of programmers, etc etc. and btw, the display name on the media server is pretty normal, don't think why you would actually want to customize it to something else. ofc all this is my personal opinion.

Well, I can agree on that. But would it not be possible to meet halfways? For eample, make "PS3 Media Server" fix, and then let the user choose whatever he likes. Right now I have "PS3 Media Server + superlong name given by my ISP". I would like to at least edit the "superlong name given by my ISP".
foging

Postby meskibob » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:26 pm

foging wrote:Right now I have "PS3 Media Server + superlong name given by my ISP". I would like to at least edit the "superlong name given by my ISP".
Ummm... my understanding is that PMS uses the "computer name" which you should be able to change (on WinXP go to My Computer Properties->Computer Name tab->"Change..." button->"Computer Name" text field). I just tested and it updated fine on PMS. Not sure how/why your ISP would be setting that....
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby foging » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:21 pm

meskibob wrote:
foging wrote:Right now I have "PS3 Media Server + superlong name given by my ISP". I would like to at least edit the "superlong name given by my ISP".
Ummm... my understanding is that PMS uses the "computer name" which you should be able to change (on WinXP go to My Computer Properties->Computer Name tab->"Change..." button->"Computer Name" text field). I just tested and it updated fine on PMS. Not sure how/why your ISP would be setting that....

Well, that's what confuses me too. I'm running OS X with two ethernet cards, and I've given the computer the name "mini", but it's still using the name "xxx-xxx-xxx-xx.bredband.comhem.se", that name is linked to my IP-address from my ISP.
foging

Postby moshjahan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:29 pm

This is easy to do in Windows:

o First make a backup of pms.jar.

o Rename original pms.jar to pms.zip

o Explore the zip file and navigate tot he "resouces" folder.

o Extract the file PMS.xml

o Edit PMS.xml in Notepad and there you will see the text used for the XMB

o Change the text, save the file.

o Copy the PMS.xml back into the zip archive.

o Rename pms.zip back to pms.jar and relaunch the application.
moshjahan

Postby Alpha_Climatise » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:57 am

It would be a great option to name a server to a greater degree. I don't see anything wrong with developers tagging the service, but within reason. Our domain controllers run on windows OS, but they don't say WindowsServer2008 before each server name. A better option may be to tag the end of the name, so server names can still be sorted without the needed pre-title, such as 'Server Name - PS3 MS®'.

People should be able to customize, and developers should still get credit (especially when their work is gratis), but we can meet in the middle most of the time.
Alpha_Climatise

Postby moshjahan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:48 am

Users should always have total customization rights, but developers should add a "credits" or "About..." option.
moshjahan

Next

Return to Feature Suggestions