Folder management across multiple drives

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Folder management across multiple drives

Postby Bozster » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Here's the problem I'm facing, though I haven't really investigated too much.

As our digital libraries grow I find myself putting movies into specific genre folders for PS3MS so I can browse my movies easier. As I do this it works great from a single hard drive however I have no way to keep the folders synced somehow in order to span same genre folders on multiple drives.

If i'm not fully clear I'll explain.

On one of my 1TB drives I have a bunch of full HD movies. m2ts with PCM. I have folder structure like this:

- Action
- Comedy
- Horror
- Adventure
- Sci-Fi
etc..

The problem is that I can't fit all of my movies on this 1TB drive. As I add more movies I will need to create the same folder structure on an additional drive. In this case it would be great if there was a way for PS3MS to read and present only 1 list of these folders on the PS3. So instead of having multiple Comedy folders from different discs i have one Comedy folder visible on PS3 with ALL movies listed inside (spanning across all drives). I was not able to do this or I possibly did not figure out how but this would be huge.

Either to manage and compare folder structures and then show them as one on PS3 or to create an internal sorting system in PS3MS where we can flag folders into groups or genres etc.

Thanks!
Bozster

Re: Folder management across multiple drives

Postby Fridaybrew » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:41 am

I Understand your problem had something similar when my one of my 1TB discs got full with movies and tv series.
I dont have a solution for you and i dont really see a problem here though.....or atleast not for me =)

My solution was to separate movies and tv series on separate discs, this works great!
Since you have such an well managed folder setup why dont you just have some genres on one disc and the other genres on another disc?
Soon i will have filled up the movie 1 TB disc and i'm a messy person so i just like to have all movies in one folder, after all its alphabeticly. So i think i just separate the alpabet and have movies A-L on one disc and the rest on another =)

Well that's my few cents on this.

Sry for any typos i just got throbbing headache at the moment =(
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 |16 GB Aeneon DDR2-800 CL2.5 RAM | Western Digital VelociRaptor - 300GB 10000rpm 16MB | 4 x Samsung SpinPoint - 1TB 7200rpm 32MB | PS3 with Samsung Spinpoint M6S HM500LI - 500GB 5400rpm 8MB 2.5zoll - SATA300 | Samsung LE 52 A766
Fridaybrew

Postby daledude » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:14 am

You can do this with unionfs if your using linux. There might be equivalents for other OS's. This allows you to stack directories on a single directory.

Or use symbolic links to have the same video file seen in multiple directories.
daledude

Postby shagrath » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:38 pm

it's planned for a future version (I can't give you an exact timeline though)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby sd-six » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:54 am

Hi,

i just googled a bit and found this:

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... l#download

Maybe you can build something that works for you.

cya sd-six
sd-six

Return to Feature Suggestions