DTS audio to S/PDIF with UPnP - working file!

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Re: DTS audio to S/PDIF with UPnP - working file!

Postby ExSport » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:49 pm

Yes, also audio volume MUST be in the middle on PS3 (I think it is +3)
ExSport

Postby wjo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 pm

JR Cash wrote:
wjo wrote: Have you checked that the playback volume in the PS3 is exactly 100%? Just a long shot...

that was the issue, it was +4.
Now it works fine and the receiver shows the dts logo.

Yep, easy to miss that one! Great - that means that so far this test clip works for all the tested receivers... Unfortunately it seems that there may be some issues with 24-bit DTS streams to playback properly (mkv2vob author 3r1c also started investigating this as soon as I posted it in the mkv2vob forum). This test clip contains a 20-bit DTS stream...

Some more work to be done obviously...

Edit: Turns out 3r1c figured out the zero padding necessary to make 24-bit resolution DTS also play, so that should no longer be an issue! :D

/wj
wjo

Postby shagrath » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:07 pm

great news !
But the thing is it's more and more awkward to support this hacks around tsmuxer and such with a real time transcode
For an elegant solution, I almost need to make my own muxer now...
I don't know If I'm motivated enough for this :)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby wjo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:44 am

shagrath wrote:great news !
But the thing is it's more and more awkward to support this hacks around tsmuxer and such with a real time transcode
For an elegant solution, I almost need to make my own muxer now...
I don't know If I'm motivated enough for this :)

I see the problem... I guess tsmuxer won't allow you to change the encapsulating type easily then? This problem occurs during the final muxing stage and not during stream splitting, right? But outputting the DTS stream (padded maybe) into an LPCM container, will that impact the final muxer? I read your post that way - is this a special case for real-time streaming operation? Normally I would think the muxer would only take the data from all the streams and tag them appropriately, and that's where we can trick it into saying it's LPCM when it's actually DTS inside (the muxer couldn't/shouldn't case less really). Hopefully there will be a workable solution some day in the future!

/wj
wjo

Postby shagrath » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 am

no, nothing that hard :)
it's just that using a combination of mencoder + tsmuxer plus tweaking the streams in real time will slow down the start of the streaming
so, fast forward will be impacted for example (should be slower), but It should work nonetheless
that's why I was talking about an elegant solution (osx versions, for example will not benefit from this), but recreate tsMuxer is something hardly doable without
dozens (hundreds?) hours of free time and a lot of aspirins :p

Btw I'm still amazed at how fast the guy at mkv2vob found the padding trick for the dts frame... I'm still searching for the dts header format spec :))
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Audioboxer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:02 pm

shagrath wrote:no, nothing that hard :)
it's just that using a combination of mencoder + tsmuxer plus tweaking the streams in real time will slow down the start of the streaming
so, fast forward will be impacted for example (should be slower), but It should work nonetheless
that's why I was talking about an elegant solution (osx versions, for example will not benefit from this), but recreate tsMuxer is something hardly doable without
dozens (hundreds?) hours of free time and a lot of aspirins :p

Btw I'm still amazed at how fast the guy at mkv2vob found the padding trick for the dts frame... I'm still searching for the dts header format spec :))

You should just get in touch with 3r1c and ask for some help, he's a good guy!

Plus it's very likely he actually uses PMS to stream his own movies right now :P (He confirmed he streams content)
Audioboxer

Postby shagrath » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:24 am

well I done the coding yesterday (it was not so hard to figure it out with such hints :p) and it seems to be ok (I have no dts so hard to tell) :p
I'm now working on the DTS-HD part, to extract just the core and use the same technique
E-AC3 is maybe a possibility too, but now I really need to buy a new receiver :p
I think I will release a beta in a few days
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby System II » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:10 pm

Eureka!!! It's working here (on a Harman Kardon Reciever) fabulous. Alle the speakers gets the right data and the DTS indicator lit.
Great news for everyone. Well done !!
System II

Postby wjo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:58 pm

shagrath wrote:well I done the coding yesterday (it was not so hard to figure it out with such hints :p) and it seems to be ok (I have no dts so hard to tell) :p
I'm now working on the DTS-HD part, to extract just the core and use the same technique
E-AC3 is maybe a possibility too, but now I really need to buy a new receiver :p
I think I will release a beta in a few days

Sounds great!! :)

I probably only have a slightly newer receiver than you have, my Pioneer VSX-908RDS THX (Ultra) receiver from -'99 - this was one of the first that could do AC3/DD5.1, DTS5.1 and MPEG Multichannel (used for some initial european DVD titles). Too bad it won't do AAC or any of the HD formats, so I guess it's time soon to upgrade it. Won't be cheap to get a new THX Ultra receiver today it seems though.. :(

System II wrote:Eureka!!! It's working here (on a Harman Kardon Reciever) fabulous. Alle the speakers gets the right data and the DTS indicator lit.
Great news for everyone. Well done !!

Yep, I think we still have a 100% success rate (after people have adjusted their volume and other audio adjustments on the PS3)! Excellent! :)

/wj
wjo

Postby omel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:35 pm

wjo wrote:
I probably only have a slightly newer receiver than you have, my Pioneer VSX-908RDS THX (Ultra) receiver from -'99 - this was one of the first that could do AC3/DD5.1, DTS5.1 and MPEG Multichannel (used for some initial european DVD titles). Too bad it won't do AAC or any of the HD formats, so I guess it's time soon to upgrade it. Won't be cheap to get a new THX Ultra receiver today it seems though.. :(

/wj

Or you have to get a blu-ray player with 7.1 analog output, if your reciver support 7.1 analog input as my pioneer reciever 909rds does
omel

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Suggestions