DTS audio to S/PDIF with UPnP - working file!

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Re: DTS audio to S/PDIF with UPnP - working file!

Postby shagrath » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:37 pm

the thing is, it would be great if someone with an HDMI receiver could test this sample as well, and confirm the 5.1 sound
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby meskibob » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:07 pm

I have the receiver, but since I just bought it I'm still lacking on the remaining speakers (just 2.0 right now :(). I can check that all the proper signals are active, just won't be able to confirm the actual sound. Will edit this post with the results...

Edit:
PS3 shows 2ch Linear PCM, Receiver shows 5.1ch DTS :)
Receiver: Denon AVR789
PS3 is connected to receiver via HDMI cable
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby JR Cash » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:03 pm

I get a loud static sound with hdmi as well as spdif.
My receiver is the denon 1909.
video is ok, audio in 2 ch pcm, receiver shows nothing.
JR Cash

Postby ExSport » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:06 pm

You have to disable audio upsampling!!!!!
Code: Select all
dts 5.1 Music Disc support in PS3
dts 5.1 Music Disc (dts-CD) is supported if 44.1kHz is selected as the only output frequency, and you use an external decoder. Choosing 44.1kHz can be done via the "Music Settings" and "Sound Settings" inside the "Settings" menu of the XMB. The PS3 normally treats all CDs as unencoded Linear PCM and will just take the Linear PCM untouched from the CD and send it down the HDMI or TOSLINK, or convert to analog first before sending it down the AV Multi cable. Because the Linear PCM on the dts-CD is actually encoded 5.1 channels (or 6.1), you must trick the PS3 into sending the data untouched to an external dts-CD decoder via HDMI or TOSLINK (NOT the analog AV Multi). To accomplish this, you must turn off upconversion (48kHz, 88.2kHz and 176kHz must not be selected), otherwise, your signal will sound like FM noise.

HDCD support in PS3
HDCD support is provided via the "bitstream" option. Note that because there is no specific CD option for turning on or off "bitstream", you must trick the PS3 into doing it. Since the CD is already in Linear PCM, the PS3 will normally just output the data (expecting it to be already decoded). HDCD has hidden bits in the Linear PCM that will trigger the external decoder to process the extra 4 bits. So as long as you choose HDMI or TOSLINK, and you use an external decoder that accepts HDCD, you should hear 20bits instead of plain 16bits.
ExSport

Postby wjo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:40 pm

ExSport wrote:You have to disable audio upsampling!!!!!

Yes, that definitely sounds like a good thing to do! Note though that it seems that 48kHz is the frequency of choice for most video, so disabling the 48kHz option might not be the best idea (I doubt the PS3 would upsample from 44.1kHz to 48kHz, a very bad idea mathematically).

JR Cash wrote:I get a loud static sound with hdmi as well as spdif.

Hmm, bummer.. Then at least one receiver isn't quite happy with the data (if it's not the upsampling problem above that is, but I doubt that upsampling will be made through S/PDIF, as the bandwidth is already fully utilized). The loud static is indeed the raw DTS, something prevents the DTS decdoder to kick in in your case.. When I alter the bitsream (adjusting the PS3 volume for example), I get complete silence though, no static). Have you checked that the playback volume in the PS3 is exactly 100%? Just a long shot...

As we have two different Pioneer receivers tested, both OK, but two Denons showing different results I still think we need more test results to see where the problem lies..

At least we got confirmation that it is indeed possible to output DTS as "LPCM" even through HDMI, that's great!!!

/wj
wjo

Postby ExSport » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:01 pm

Choosing 44.1kHz can be done via the "Music Settings" and "Sound Settings" inside the "Settings" menu of the XMB

44.1 is not upsampled to 48kHz. You need to choose 44.1 on PS3 and also unclick 88.2 + 176.4kHz, nothing more.
When 44.1/88/176kHz is selected, PS3 upsample it so it is needed to tell PS3 that your receiver don't support these upsampled rates in audio settings(setting is close to settings of video resolution)
When PS3 touch this dts stream you will hear scratch because PS3 is trying to upsample 2channel PCM but it is DTS ;)
48kHz can be upsampled by PS3 to 96 or 192kHz so you don't need it to disable these frequencies...
ExSport

Postby JR Cash » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:15 pm

ExSport wrote:You have to disable audio upsampling!!!!!

It's always disabled.
JR Cash

Postby ExSport » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:18 pm

No, it is not ;) (when I am talking about CD upsampling...don't know the influence on streamed audio)
Maybe your receiver have upsampling enabled also...
Also try to play with settings "bitstream" and "pcm" output on PS3
All audio in audio tab on PS3 is played at 48kHz but video tab can play higher audio frequencies
ExSport

Postby meskibob » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:41 pm

JR Cash wrote:I get a loud static sound with hdmi as well as spdif.

Hmmm, everything sounded fine on my end, although I only have the FR and FL speakers right now. Since the 1909 is essentially the 789 with a couple more zone 2 features (or atleast no enhancements as far as dts playback) we should be getting the same thing. All the frequencies are enabled under the "Audio Output Settings" on the PS3 (I just used Auto to set it up for HDMI).

Edit: Just checked the Volume Control during playback on the PS3. Mine was in the middle (100%). As soon as I went up or down, had the static.
Last edited by meskibob on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby JR Cash » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:44 pm

wjo wrote: Have you checked that the playback volume in the PS3 is exactly 100%? Just a long shot...

that was the issue, it was +4.
Now it works fine and the receiver shows the dts logo.
JR Cash

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Suggestions