Fast seek support

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Fast seek support

Postby jhenderson0107 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:36 pm

Please consider adding a feature which allows rapidly seeking to a position within the streaming source file, specified by percentage. For instance, the ability to rapdily index to a position 50% into the source file and resuming playback from that point. This is different from requests by others to support fast forward or reverse, which I know is problematic to implement.

Limited as the D-Link Media Server is compared to the the PS3 Media Server, it does have the above feature and I think this would be a userful embellishment to PMS.

I realize that the PS3 Info menu supports scene selection. However, while scene selection is fast for certain file formats (such as certain AVIs), it is very slow for VOB sources. So, a means of leaping quickly to a specified percentage within the streaming file would be sufficient. A one-percent granualarity to the selection would be ideal.

Jim
jhenderson0107

Re: Fast seek support

Postby shagrath » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:42 pm

the app does already support fast seeking, and fast forward
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby jhenderson0107 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:15 pm

Does it allow seeking into a file by a specified percentage? How do you access that feature? As I said in my original post, I am aware that PMS supports seeking via the Info | Scene Selection menu, but that does not work well for VOBs.
jhenderson0107

Postby Topguy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:27 pm

jhenderson0107 wrote:Does it allow seeking into a file by a specified percentage? How do you access that feature? As I said in my original post, I am aware that PMS supports seeking via the Info | Scene Selection menu, but that does not work well for VOBs.

You cant control PMS with any more precision than the PS3 allows you to do. There is a "goto" feature on the PS3 that allows you to jump to any time in the file, and that is not the 1/2/5 minutes indexing with thumbnails. Press triangle and find a bent arrow.
Topguy

Return to Feature Suggestions