.CBR/.CBZ file support

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

.CBR/.CBZ file support

Postby the_stalli0n » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:18 am

I recently got a PS3 and just started using PS3 Media Server. I'm very impressed! I was in the process of setting up DLNA on my NSLU2, but then came across this program. I downloaded and installed it and it worked right away! Very cool.

The .CBR/.CBZ support was an awesome surprise. Do any of the other servers (Twonky, TVersity) have the same capabilities?

I would like to see the feature improved, though. Right now, the program treats the files just like .Zip or .Rar files. It would be great if the server could sort the contents of these files better, so that the pages/images are in the correct order. Also, when viewing the files through the PS3, we only see them one at a time. Can anyone think of a way that we can have a 2-page view? I was thinking that, for .Cbr and .Cbz files, you could have the program stitch the images together before presenting them to the PS3. Does that make sense? That might not necessarily look right for all comics, though, depending on size and pagination, etc.

Is there a better solution?

Thanks!
the_stalli0n

Re: .CBR/.CBZ file support

Postby Topguy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:47 am

the_stalli0n wrote:The .CBR/.CBZ support was an awesome surprise. Do any of the other servers (Twonky, TVersity) have the same capabilities?

It would be great if the server could sort the contents of these files better, so that the pages/images are in the correct order.

Can anyone think of a way that we can have a 2-page view? I was thinking that, for .Cbr and .Cbz files, you could have the program stitch the images together before presenting them to the PS3. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

1. Havent seen this on any other server yet, mediatomb probably can be scripted to support it (linux only)

2. All the cbX files I have tried have been sorted correctly, I think you need to give an example of filenames that are wronly sorted. It could also be that the files is not sorted at all by the PMS but that the order is taken from the archive itself. (then you could probably fix it by re-packing the archive)

3. The best solution would probably be to use an external program to convert your comix from single pages to double before viewing them. Not sure if something like that exists.
Topguy

Postby moshjahan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:04 pm

Yes! Make it the first to become a comic server :) I realize PS3MS is more about serving content using available engines, but I'm gonna request it anyways... ;)

I would much rather read my comics on my large 50 inch plasma from the comfort of my couch, than on a computer monitor or small laptop screen. Perhaps a CBZ/CBR could be converted on the fly to a video of images? In the UI you could have options to control how long each page is displayed in the movie file.
moshjahan

Postby Topguy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:46 am

Are you too lazy to press "RB1" to change the from one page to another or am I missing the point of your post.

CBZ and CBR are already supported as folders of images if you enable it in PMS.
Topguy

Postby moshjahan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:46 am

Hmm, didn't work for me. Could something wrong with my CBZ/R files. WIll try others.
moshjahan

Postby affa » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:22 am

"Are you too lazy to press "RB1" to change the from one page to another or am I missing the point of your post."

it's not a matter of laziness. comics, as a medium, are designed as a 2 page piece of art. this isn't always obvious, but it's quite common to see 2 page spreads where the only way to make sense of what's going on is to see the left page next to the right page. this is why all cbr/cbz readers have this option. it's also nice that widescreen displays found in many computers and tvs nowadays fit 2 pages perfectly side by side.

as someone who just found this software and is going to dl just to try it out for it's cbr/cbz support, i'd love to see any additional support given to making this feature even better (such as the 2 page spread option)
affa

Return to Feature Suggestions