Hulu & Netflix

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Hulu & Netflix

Postby ImportSport » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:03 am

It would be great to have integrated support for streaming content like Hulu and Netflix. Their feeds should be static enough that we don't need to add the feeds manually. PlayOn also seems to get feeds (alphabetical sorting) that are not listed in Hulu's RSS feeds.
ImportSport

Re: Hulu & Netflix

Postby markob » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:46 pm

I second the Hulu support, it'd be a great feature, making this great program even more popular.
markob

Postby the_stalli0n » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:04 am

I added these lines to PMS's web.conf file:

#hulu test
videofeed.Web,Hulu=http://rss.hulu.com/HuluRecentlyAddedVideos?format=xml
videofeed.Web,Hulu=http://rss.hulu.com/HuluRecentlyAddedShows?format=xml
videofeed.Web,Hulu=http://rss.hulu.com/HuluRecentlyAddedMovies?format=xml

Now, Hulu show up on the PS3, and has a list of available videos. However, when I try to play one, I get a 'corrupted data' message after a couple minutes; no video plays. However, I don't know if that's actually a problem w/ PMS, or something about my system (i the same problem for most internet streams). Please try out the lines above and let us know if that works for you. Or, if anyone has better settings in the web.conf file, maybe you could post them...
the_stalli0n

Postby shagrath » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:23 am

Hulu is not supported at the time and I cannot work on it cause I have no access to it
About Netflix, how can you expect me (or anyone else) to work on this ? it's like working for Netflix for free; but if you want spend countless hours to decrypt silverlight code, and give future clients's money to netflix (and not you), be my guest, I'd be happy to integrate the code into the server
imho Netflix have to work on ps3 support, not us
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby quepaso » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:26 am

shagrath wrote:Hulu is not supported at the time and I cannot work on it cause I have no access to it
About Netflix, how can you expect me (or anyone else) to work on this ? it's like working for Netflix for free (but if you want spend countless hours to decrypt silverlight code, and give future clients's money to netflix, be my guest, I'd be happy to integrate the code into the server)
imho Netflix have to work on ps3 support, not us

In a way i agree, using the xbox 360 Netflix software is amazing, works perfect. Netflix had Stacey Spears from Microsoft program that for the xbox 360, so they should do the same for the PS3, but it isn't in the cards at this point. I guess PlayOn + PMS = Win!
quepaso

Postby markob » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:32 am

shagrath wrote:Hulu is not supported at the time and I cannot work on it cause I have no access to it

Yeah, it's US only. But you can still easy access it via proxy or just use Hotspor Shield, like most of non-US visitors and it works fine.
markob

Postby ThaDraGun » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:18 am

markob wrote:

Yeah, it's US only. But you can still easy access it via proxy or just use Hotspor Shield, like most of non-US visitors and it works fine.

I've tried using proxy and it slows the connection down too much. Video is not playable.
Also Hotspot Shield does not support Vista x64. Damn that hulu, I wanna watch!!
ThaDraGun

Postby Solipcyst » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Just as the OP said, Hulu and Netflix streaming both work with PlayOn for the PS3. Therefore, I don't see why PMS wouldn't have the potential to stream them as well. I doubt PlayOn has any kind of deal with Hulu or Netflix that would allow them to mirror content, so they must be streaming directly from the Hulu/Netflix servers, no? Does anyone know of any way to snoop the network requests that a program like PlayOn is making (the urls of the feeds) to get a better sense of how to go about creating an feed that PMS can use? If we are lucky, PlayOn has some kind of bot creating its own feeds that their program looks at and we can just point to those?
Solipcyst

Postby shagrath » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:03 pm

never installed PlayOn, but I bet they are using some kind of wrapper around internet explorer to intercept video and audio system calls, not the kind of thing easy to do without advanced knowledge of windows programming...
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby whome » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:47 pm

Its called DLL Injection technique and you are right, its a damn hard to implement. Similar injection is used by FRAPS to calculate an external 3d app fps counter. It injects itself to the app's process memory and thread instances, attach dll hooks to intercept Direct3D function calls, do the magic and forward call to the initial target.
whome

Next

Return to Feature Suggestions