Cache support

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Cache support

Postby sanju » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:45 am

I must say..this is simplest media server which works straightway on PS3. I was using fuppes earlier now switched to this. I have a feature request which i guess would improve its performance.

How about keeping a cache file for each file (which needs transcoding) in db. This cache will be filled first time the file is played and correspondingly transcoded. The transcoded file (upto say initial 100 MB) can be kept in the cache file (which is persitent), so that next time if i play the same file it play straight away (since transcoded cache is available straightaway). This cache size should be configurable along with enable/disable option.
Or ...user can configure overall (total) cache file (say 1GB at appropriate location) and PSM manages this cache file appropriately (allocating it to different file as needed).

-sanju.
sanju

Re: Cache support

Postby meskibob » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:36 pm

If you look at the initial release notes (I believe this was on the blog), one of the reasons Shagrath started developing this server was to get away from the TVersity-esque method of creating temp files for transcoding. The real issue is that you have a delay when transcoding, so the cache wouldn't be needed if PMS throughput could get increased via some other method. But that's just my $.02 :)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby shagrath » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:34 pm

you're talking about saving the 8 or 10 seconds starting time of a transcoded file... I'd rather optimize the launch than create temp files like said meskibob
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Pepijn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:05 pm

A cache containing the image on every whole minute may be usefull, so that seek using the square button reacts faster.
Pepijn

Postby sanju » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:32 pm

I think this feature will be particularly useful for slower machines (i guess even p4 would be slower in case of transcoding at HD)..i would assume in some way it would help avoid jitter (apart from slow play) on slower machine..In my case, I have converted my older linux machine into NAS and all my media storage lies there. I run PSM on that machine. For my kind of user :)..which i guess would be quite many..will benifit from this.

Additionally added advantage of improved seeking support etc. I am not an expert here so can't say about technical complexity..etc... but this should be bring competitive advantage, if this somehow address the issue of slower machine.

If PSM is running as service then i guess PSM start up time shouldn't be an issue.
sanju

Postby gate1975mlm » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:54 pm

It would be super great if you could fix the delay when transcoding :)

Any of chance this?
Last edited by gate1975mlm on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gate1975mlm

Postby gate1975mlm » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Pepijn wrote:A cache containing the image on every whole minute may be usefull, so that seek using the square button reacts faster.

I can hardly even use square button when transcoding. A lot of times it causes some kind of error.
gate1975mlm

Postby shagrath » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:06 pm

Pepijn wrote:A cache containing the image on every whole minute may be usefull, so that seek using the square button reacts faster.

I got to cache one image per second to make this work
sorry but no :)
shagrath
Project Lead

Return to Feature Suggestions