.WTV Support

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

.WTV Support

Postby Electrifying » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:12 am

Hi all, after reading through the forums a couple of times I decided to sign myself up to so I could also contribute my idea(s).

I would really like to have .WTV support in PMS. WTV is the new extension used by Vista Media Center TV Pack 2008 and I also believe it is being used as the primary format to store your recordings in Windows 7. Now I have the TV Pack installed for quite some time already and I think it is a good update. Especially since I used the hacked DLL to view H264 HD channels in Media Center. The only downside is that the PS3 isn't able to view the .WTV files, so support for that file extension in PMS would be very much appreciated (and I think i'm not the only one who would like to see WTV support in PMS). Your software is one of the main reasons I decided to hook our Media Center up with a cable, running from downstairs all the way to the attic and actually took quite some time to set up. :P

I hope you will look into supporting .WTV files so that I don't have to remux my .wtv files into mpeg2 with graphedit all the time :P
Electrifying

Re: .WTV Support

Postby shagrath » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:51 am

rename them to .dvr-ms and follow this guide: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver ... WatchDVRMS

don't think it will work but we never know :)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Electrifying » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:57 am

Thanks for the quick answer :D

Unfortunately I already tried that :P.
And it doesn't work :cry:
Electrifying

Postby Electrifying » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:05 am

So I don't mean to force or rush you in any way, but is it possible you could take a look into this s'il vous plaît? :D
Electrifying

Postby shagrath » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:14 pm

You can also help 8-)
if you find me a working muxer/transcoder WTV -> MPEG2/AC3, and provide me the command line to run it, I'm willing to implement it in pms as an addon (like I did for dvr-ms)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Electrifying » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:14 am

Well I took a look around and I found this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc963726.aspx .

It is a Microsoft developer article that explains the WTV format a bit. Including some code to transcode the file. The only problem is that this is being done through the directshow filters on your system. I already practically transcode the files by hand ATM but it kind of sucks if I need to do this everytime by hand. And my parents are also getting annoyed because it usually has to be done when they are watching tv :P . So i don't know if you are able to call the directshow filters to do some work. The way I usually transcode them is selecting the Streambuffersource, then the Ati MPEG multiplexer for muxing it and the Ati MPEG file writer to store the recording in another format. This applies to an Ati graphics card of course but there must be some similar filters that are able to do the same right?
Electrifying

Postby Electrifying » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:37 pm

So, is this article helpful? :D 8-)
Electrifying

Postby shagrath » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:29 pm

Electrifying wrote:So, is this article helpful? :D 8-)

not really ;)
I don't want to make a WTV conversion application, I just want to use one !
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Electrifying » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:09 pm

I read the creators of MCEbuddy are planning on creating a WTV transcoding engine. So lets hope that maybe that one can be used :D
Electrifying

Postby Irvysan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:05 pm

shagrath wrote:
Electrifying wrote:So, is this article helpful? :D 8-)

not really ;)
I don't want to make a WTV conversion application, I just want to use one !

This should do the job (command line utility to convert WTV files to DVR-MS) :

http://babgvant.com/blogs/andyvt/archiv ... 0-0-7.aspx

It is confirmed working to convert WTV files to DVR-MS here :

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/290851.aspx

Its not something I will use but I hope it helps
Irvysan

Next

Return to Feature Suggestions