Installation Options (Desktop, Start Menu)

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Installation Options (Desktop, Start Menu)

Postby meskibob » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:20 pm

With most apps that have an .exe installer, I expect options to enable/disable the Start Menu folder, the Desktop shortcut, and the Quick Launch shortcut, but no such options are currently available with the PMS installer.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: Installation Options (Desktop, Start Menu)

Postby moshjahan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:59 pm

An install point option to create an entry in Windows registry to run the application on logon would be nice too. (As in not using not using Start menu Startup group.) Yes, it can be installed as a Windows service, but I prefer to have it running on a desktop for remote admin.
moshjahan

Postby meskibob » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Bump
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby marco275 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:08 am

meskibob wrote:With most apps that have an .exe installer, I expect options to enable/disable the Start Menu folder, the Desktop shortcut, and the Quick Launch shortcut, but no such options are currently available with the PMS installer.

Why? You can add or remove them manualy after installation, all this implementations will result in a bulky application eventualy.
marco275

Postby meskibob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 pm

marco275 wrote:Why? You can add or remove them manualy after installation, all this implementations will result in a bulky application eventualy.
a)I don't have any icons on my desktop or quick launch, so it's annoying to remove them when updating applications, especially when it's something like PMS that is receiving fairly regular beta updates. I added Start Menu for completeness as I know other people that keep that fairly clean.
b) It would affect the size of the download (the exe installer), not the actual application size
c) I'm pretty sure adding three toggles to an existing installer window doesn't really add that much bulk, considering almost all programs now do this and it's just a couple of boolean checkboxes.
You're already adding the bulk by using a self-extracting install instead of just using a zip file, so you might as well add in the couple of customization options to make picky users like me happy. But that's just my $.02 ;)
meskibob

Postby NaDs » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:38 pm

+1

i would love to see this in my startup programs, and be able to have the option in the installation
NaDs

Postby masterzxz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:51 pm

NaDs wrote:+1

i would love to see this in my startup programs, and be able to have the option in the installation

Like this?:

http://www.masterzxz.com/projects.php
masterzxz

Return to Feature Suggestions