Option to force JPEG/PNG when present over thumbnails

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Option to force JPEG/PNG when present over thumbnails

Postby moshjahan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:26 pm

I would lke to request an option that enables cover art (JPEG/PNG) to used rather than thumbnails when the images are present (as per current matching criteria, e.g. image name matching filename). For folders that do not have cover art then thumbnails should be used (if enabled).

Alternatively, could we have an option to choose which file types cover art is applied to. In my case I want to use cover art for MKVs and thumbnails for AVIs.

My use case is this: I want to see thumbnails for TV shows but I want to show the movie's original release poster for movies.

Thanks.
moshjahan

Re: Option to force JPEG/PNG when present over thumbnails

Postby meskibob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:51 pm

moshjahan wrote:Alternatively, could we have an option to choose which file types cover art is applied to. In my case I want to use cover art for MKVs and thumbnails for AVIs.
If the coverart image is not available for a file, it already defaults to the preview thumbnail (if the thumbnail option is enabled). I'm not sure how specifying it by file type is really going to help there...
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby moshjahan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:02 pm

Yes but I want the opposite behavior: if the cover art exists then use cover art else use thumbnail (if enabled).

Curretnly, if thumbnails is enabled it always uses thumbnails, even if cover art exists in the same folder. At least that's what happening for me.
moshjahan

Postby meskibob » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:34 pm

moshjahan wrote:Yes but I want the opposite behavior: if the cover art exists then use cover art else use thumbnail (if enabled).
That's what is supposed to happen currently.... (it's also what I said, just phrased differently ;))
moshjahan wrote:Curretnly, if thumbnails is enabled it always uses thumbnails, even if cover art exists in the same folder. At least that's what happening for me.
Interesting... Are you applying a single cover art file to an entire folder or is it per individual video file? That latter was working for me in previous versions of PMS, but I haven't tried after switching to 1.10.625... I guess I can give it a try when I get home.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby moshjahan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:55 pm

I've got one folder with 6 MKV files and 6 JPEGs, for example:

Star Trek - The Motion Picture.mkv
Star Trek - The Motion Picture.jpg

But when I navigate to this folder i the XMB I get thumbnails instead of my per file artwork.
moshjahan

Postby meskibob » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:56 pm

moshjahan wrote:Star Trek - The Motion Picture.mkv
Star Trek - The Motion Picture.jpg
The cover file needs to be "Star Trek - The Motion Picture.mkv.cover.jpg" (without the quotes). Similar naming is required for the other cover art files.
meskibob

Postby moshjahan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:21 pm

OMG, okay shoot me now please! LOL I read that in the readme as well but forgot to add to the filenames! Doh!

Thanks for spotting my mistake!

Cheers.
moshjahan

Postby moshjahan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:20 pm

Update:

I found a slight inconsistency with the documentation. To quote the documentation:

For example, for a movie called 'tokyo.mkv', the cover file can be named 'tokyo.png' or 'tokyo.mkv.cover.png'

However, I can only get it to work if I use the latter format ('tokyo.mkv.cover.png'). Unless I'm doing something wrong again, but I thought I'd post this to save anyone else from pulling their hair out too :)
moshjahan

Postby shagrath » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:06 am

nope, it's just a silly bug
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby moshjahan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:55 am

Bug or typo in README :)
moshjahan

Next

Return to Feature Suggestions