Option to hide #--TRANSCODE--# folder

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Re: Option to hide #--TRANSCODE--# folder

Postby moshjahan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:55 am

The original request was to hide the folder, with *hide* being the operative word in the request. However, it's not clear if the folder is needed to be present in order for transcoding to work, I don't see that it should be as what's shown in the XMB (the UI) should be decoupled from the streaming mechanism. So, if the folder is only there for convenience then an option to hide it liek we can for the video setting folder is what I would like to see. All of the MKVs I've have play fine from the root of the shared folder so I have no need to use the transcoding folder. The XMB is an elegant interface and this folder ruins the aesthetics of it.
moshjahan

Postby PlaystationFTW » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:07 am

Tru dat!
+1 for it
PlaystationFTW

Postby Hanzo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:55 am

I recently started using this program (was a TVersity user before) and I absolutely like it over TVersity. The one thing that would make it perfect is if it could transcode what it needs without me me going into the transcode folder and choose how to transcode my files. I understand that for MKV's with multiple audio/subtitle streams you need to specify which streams you want in order to properly display it, but there are other more elegant ways to accomplish this... you can already switch audio and subtitle when playing back a DVD or Blu-Ray in mid-movie. It may be a difficult feature to implement to implement but I do think it would make this program a 1000 times better than anything that is out there. As it is right now, is not bad... but it definetly could be a lot better.

A simple way to put it is to enable an option like "automatically transcode all media that requires it" it should not transcode, say an MP3... but it should transcode an MKV encoded with theora/ogg/srt playing back the default streams; while allowing the user to switch to whatever is needed with the options in the screen.

Thanks for making an excellent program and for taking this request into consideration...
Hanzo

Postby shagrath » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:47 am

Hanzo wrote:The one thing that would make it perfect is if it could transcode what it needs without me me going into the transcode folder and choose how to transcode my files

the thing is, I think exactly the opposite ;)
the thing you want to see is impossible with a media renderer with constants evolutions of firmware, codec support, etc. and without even subtitles support
The multi audio tracks is somewhat possible (already possible on some cases, but it's an A/V sync nightmare)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Isbarv » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:47 pm

moshjahan wrote:Alternatively, another idea might be to rename the folder or place its order at the very bottom.

Likewise here, I'm wondering if it can be possible to rename the #--transcode--# folder and also all the other #--foldername--#.
Isbarv

Previous

Return to Feature Suggestions